Ampeg PF 500 sudden death

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lukelogandennis, Mar 28, 2014.

1. lukelogandennis

lukelogandennis

Hey guys. I use a brand new (3 month) Ampeg PF 500 for my college. (Jazz Band and Pep Band use) It was running fine last night at the basketball game, and suddenly today stopped working. For a bit the FAULT light was on, then all lights except the power switch went off. The fan isn't running either. I hear this has been a common problem. Any ideas what's up?

THANKS!
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It is probably your fault for running it wrong. (That is Ampeg's actual response)

But seriously, there are tons of problems with those things. Assuming you bought it new, warranty is still good. Contact Ampeg see where to take it for service, we take it back to the dealer in Canada. If you bought it used, just call your preferred tech, there is no warranty.
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I would go back to the dealer you purchased it from and return it. It will be under warranty if it is brand new, and the new revisions don't have the problem that most likely caused your failure.

Now lets get to our regularly scheduled 30 minutes of hate: Ampeg edition!
  4. Mugre

Mugre

Yah, it's broken. If it's new and 3 months old it's under warranty. If it had the fault light, it probably detected a problem with the amp module and it's not something you're going to fix with advice from the internet. Find the receipt and take it to a warranty center.

The PF had some production quality issues that have been addressed. Newer and fixed amps are showing better reliability.

Mugre

(not a tech but works for an Ampeg Warranty Center)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    +1 to what Mugre said, -1 to what Fat Steve said (most places take returns up to 30 days).
    Looks like this is the closest authorized service center to Marion, KY:

BRITISH AUDIO SERVICE
    5343 CHARLOTTE AVE. SUITE B
    NASHVILLE, TN 37209 Zoom Remove
    Phone Number: 615-891-1788
    E-mail: shane@britishaudioservice.com

Just make sure you bring in a copy of your sales receipt to verify warranty coverage.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

If you bumped every "Dead Ampeg" thread the first 10 pages (at least, if not more) of the TalkBass Amps Forum would be nothing but "My Ampeg Died" threads with thousands upon thousands of posts. This isn't Ampeg hate. This is Ampeg truth.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  9. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I had 2, I will never buy another Ampig product. It did sound good for the 30 minutes before it failed.The second one lasted 45 Minutes.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

And there you go, 300% failure rate.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

On the note of returning, Ampeg CS is pretty good. They took back my amp that was 8 months old because I complained about it spending the last 2 months in repair. I basically what I paid for it, they only docked some due to ripped tolex. Although Canada might use a Canadian distributor who does our warranty stuff, I am not sure.

I really do not think that is how it works...
  12. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I like the part where the only product Ampeg makes are the early edition PF500 amps. Period. That's it. Nothing else.
  13. Liverspot

Liverspot

apparently there was a known issue with the heatsync/ it shutting the amp down prematurely because the faulty circuit was thinking it was overheating. THought this problem was dealt with by now, but i guess not. Fingers crossed my pf500 doesnt suffer the same problematic fate.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Possibly the amp just doesn't care for Basketball!! :)

More seriously, what speaker cabinet(s) were you using and what impedances??
  15. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1!!!!!!! (Where the PF-500 head is concerned......)

OP, since your PF-500 is new, your golden.
    Get it to the store you bought it from for replacement or to your nearest Ampeg service center for replacement.

If you wait and the warranty is out you'll be on your own with a head the authorized Ampeg service centers don't even recommend repairing!

16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

funny, just like clockwork. you can just about set your watch to this kind of reply.
    why bother with this kind of stuff brother ?
    geez :rollno:

on topic to the OP - yep, bad unit, PITA/s**t happens, you are under warranty, just go get a new one from the original dealer.

good luck
  17. Truktek2

Truktek2

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if it only effects the preamp side? Or the power amp side as well? In other words, if it happens mid-gig could you use an external preamp into the effects loop and save the gig, or are you SOL?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    If someone can make up crazy exaggerations about 10 pages of "My Ampeg Died" on here and alleged advice from their CS dept, then I can yawn at it.
  19. shoot-r

shoot-r

Jim, I'm "NOT" wanting to start up another T.B. forum war with you about the PF-500 heads problems, (the two PF-500's that burned out on me proves there's problems), but, I'd be more than happy to pm you the name and e-mail of the Authorized Ampeg service center(CS dept.) that recommended to me that it's more cost effective to just buy a new PF head than it is to repair a bad one.

You can ask them for yourself.......
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Now that I'd probably believe, although we did find out later in that thread that a service center you contacted jacked up the price of the motherboard by over half.
  21. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

"Crazy exaggerations about 10 pages"? I would not be surprised if there are more than 10 pages.And my advice from CS included insinuations that I did something wrong because of the settings I was using. Your loyalty to Ampeg are well documented and impressive but these failures are real.There is nothing worse than spending hard earned money on a new piece of gear, only to have it fail, Multiple times!