1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg PF 500 vs. Other Cheaper Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ME16510, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ME16510

ME16510

I recently posted a thread about Ampeg PF500 vs. SVT-450h and the portaflex was obviously favored. Now I was wondering how it compares to other "Cheaper" heads ($100-$500). Some of the heads i'm thinking about are the Fender Rumble 350, Peavey Tour 450, Peavey Headliner 600, Bugera BVP 5500, and Gallien Kruger MB500. Also if you feel there are other heads you want to throw out there go ahead.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's all just personal preference. It's not that one is "better" than another, just different. You need to go play some amps, and see what sounds "best" to YOU.

3. KJung

KJung

In that price range, if you are looking for a modern, bright, big, aggressive sounding head (i.e., bright with lots of upper treble, etc.) the GK MB500 is hard to beat for the price. I'm not a fan of the MB200, but that is a REALLY low priced head that is quite a bit of the MB500 sound in a very small (and a bit cheap feeling) package.

If you are looking for a more fat, organic, growly, warm type vibe, the Aguilar TH350 is amazing, and is uber quality, and seems highly reliable.

All are well within the top end of your price range if you shop during one of Musician's Friend's typical 10% or 15% of $50 off sales events.

4. ME16510

ME16510

I always bypassed it, but is any acoustic or behringer stuff worth a look?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrBonex

MrBonex

I'd add the EBS Reidmar to your list.

:D

7. Troph

Troph

I'd take my Carvin BX500 over the PF500 at my music school due to the tonal flexibility it has, and of course the dual speakon outs. The only feature I like on the PF500 that's missing on the BX500 is the post-EQ DI out switch.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh...can't say I'm a fan. The Acoustic heads aren't bad. The cabs are only OK. Not bad, not especially noteworthy, though. But the Behringer cabs just don't sound good to me in any way.

9. TUEP

TUEP

I have an Acoustic B100 combo and its so-so. I wish it didn't sound so hi-fi and when I need a scopped tone...its like the mids are still in there somewhere.

10. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I had a great practice through an Acoustic B200 and Acoustic 410 once. Never owned one or used one for more than 2 hours. I think the owner paid $400 for the whole rig at GC.