1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg PF 500??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kevindavid3, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

Hey so I havent posted on talkbass for about 2 years know. Due to that fact I've been to busy to play bass since I've been in school to get my paramedic. But anyways, due to moving to get a job I had to sell me Markbass CMD102P :( I liked the amp a lot. It had great clarity! But I always felt that when you turned it up high the low end disappeared. So as of now I am using my Ampeg BA115 that I've had for about 6 years. Long story short im not too happy. Yes it has an ok nice warm bass sound, but I find it pretty muddy at times and doesn't punch through very well. So the reason I'm asking about the Pf 500 and the cabs to go with it, was because when I took lessons for 4 years my teacher played through his markbass stack and I through his ampeg stack with a 6x10 cab. I really liked to tone I got from that set up for sure! Nice and warm and punched through! Unfortunately that was like a 3000$ 1500W stack, and thats a little out of my range. So I'm thinking the PF 500 and the 4x10 cab to match it. It seems a little cheap for what you get, which concerns me. But from what I've heard and seen on youtube its sounds great! Unfortunatly I work in a secluded part of the world and the nearest music store is 6 hours away so I cant really test it out :meh: So ya whats your guys 2 cents??

Cheers! :bassist:
  2. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

Oh ya, and I forgot to mention, It either the Ampeg PF 500 or I was going to go with the LH500 and the 4x10 hydrive cabs. Which I did play once years ago and really liked!
  3. arai

arai

And you have a right to be concerned, they have to keep the cost down somewhere.

These amps have had a lot of reliability issues as a result of possible component cost cutting. Many people say their pf is fine and have had no problem, but many have had problems so that leads me to believe it is cheap components and/or poor quality control.

It's up to you if you want to take the gamble.

This thread has some interesting numbers
  4. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

on the positive side, the PF500/115HE rig does sound quite good, has solid features and is very affordable for what you are getting.

on the (potential) negative side, there have been some issues with the PF500 cutting out due to thermal overload, and some reported bad units that just fizzled shortly after being purchased. My PF500 did cut out on me on a gig without being pushed particularly hard, and gave no warning. OTOH, it happened once in a year (~45 gigs and many rehearsals), so maybe it was just a fluke.

I would say go for it. Perhaps Ampeg has worked out the kinks in the original PF500 design by now. If you like the Ampeg tone, they certainly do deliver that for a very reasonable price point.

The Hartke LH amps are quite basic, but are solid as a rock, and can sound great (they are basically designed to sound like an Alembic F1X into a clean power amp) - classic Fender tone stack rig. The LH500 (and LH1000 for that matter) are also very affordable options.

The best news for you is that there are so many options for bass players these days, that the hardest part will be choosing.

good luck
  5. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I had a PF350 last month..,.loved the sound but it lasted 10 days and stopped working. I returned after reading some of the posts about it's reliabiltiy. I also did not think it was much louder than my GK MB200. I bought an Aguilar Tonehammer 350 and could not be happier. 3 lbs and great variety of tones.
  6. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I've had a PF-500 for a couple of years and had zero problems. Normally it's used with a PF-210 cab, but I've used it with an SVT410HE on occasion and it was a lovely thing.

Dan
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a PF350 and used to have a couple PF115he's. I've even dropped the PF350 a couple times and it still works great after a year and a half. The cabs are solidly made with good materials and sound like Ampeg IMHO. Don't know anything about the PF410hlf or PF115lf, though. I've only played the PF210 and 115he. They have a similar vibe to the 610hlf...they go pretty low but not super low. Like if you combined the sound of a 610hlf with the sound of an old B-15 cab.
  8. DogBone

DogBone

I'm curious as well.

So is the idea that the PF410hlf and/or PF115lf would be placed under a PF210 and/or PF115he and used as an extension cabinet?

I wonder about that, considering the conventional TB wisdom of not mixing cabs.

I do like what Ampeg is doing with the PF series, I think they are on the right track.
  9. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

I have a PF-500 and two PF115HE's. I've been running this rig for about seven months and never had a problem with the amp or either of the cabs. I've used the rig at outdoor and indoor events (venues big enough to fit 1,500 + people). I typically have FOH support and haven't had to push the amp too hard. Comparing this to my old GK rig...the sound isn't as "digital", but it isn't quite as articulate either. If you like grindy tone, you'll love the PF-500. Lots of good built in features on the PF-500 as well.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not necessarily. Mostly they're there to have a little variety in your choices.

Quite honestly, companies don't care what you use them for or how you stack them.

Me too!
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I have been using a PF-500 for about a year now. I run it very hard in to a demanding 4 Ohm load. No problems, just great tone.