Ampeg PF-800 and V4b

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gsusmood, Nov 24, 2013.

1. gsusmood

gsusmood

Hey guys! I had read way to much and Youtbed a lot...

Ok I have a PF-800 running true a original Svt 810 from the 70's with some blown speakers (3) that I will repair all the cab in January. my set up is fine works really good but I want the PF as back up for tour and get the V4b as main. Has anyone had a comparison between them? I am more focused about headroom (volume) since booth are nice and legit to ampeg tone. I have a Vintage modified squire with bareknuckle pups and sans amp pre amp with circle K strings and its killer tone set up as main bass, I have a active 5 strings with seymour duncan pups to. I play mostly hardcore agresive music. Any input on help on pulling the string on to this amp is very welcome!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Obviously the PF800 is going to be louder and have more headroom than a 100w amp. But while I like them both and am actually getting a PF800, I already have the new V4B, and the PF800 will be a backup to it as well as an amp that I use when size and load-in issues make it hard to use the V4B. Yes, they both have the sound, but the V4B is noticeably better sounding. If a lot of headroom is important to you, though, get an SVT instead of the V4B.

Also, bear in mind that the 70's 810's were rated for 250w power handling, not the 800w that today's 810e is rated. I believe the 250w figure is a little low, but it's not off by a whole lot. Might help you not blow speakers in the future.
  3. vade700

vade700

I'd probably run both, one as a dirty head and the other clean
  4. vade700

vade700

for a Chancellorish vibe
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gsusmood

gsusmood

Thanks Jimmy B for your feedback on this. I notice the grind and distortion you can get naturally from tubes on the V4B. I tried the PF drive and not likely for me or my tone taste so I drive it with the Tech 21... price range V4b is decent but cant believe I cant get more headroom out of my PF than the V4b. What kind of venues you play and cab you normally get into?

edit: forgot to mention that beside price range the weight of the SVT CL is to much this days... and that comes into decisions to, since me and the guitar player are gonna invest in dual head Case to simplified our rig for load in and out and space on the trailer and such things...
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I do everything from small rec halls and clubs to large theaters, arenas and large outdoor situations. With the V4B I usually use two SVT 210av's, although tomorrow I'm doing a theater with my vintage 810.

As for the headroom, the V4B is 100w RMS, the PF800 is 400w at 8 ohms or 800w at 4 ohms. Now at 8 ohms, it might be fairly close, though I'd still give the edge to the PF800. But there's no way a 100w amp can compete with an 800w amp, even an awesome tube amp like the V4B. Now what you will get out of the V4B is a more pleasing and less distorted sound once you start pushing it hard, so it'll appear to be louder than a typical SS 100w amp.

I can't answer the question of whether the V4B will work for you in terms of loudness. But it definitely is not quiet.
  8. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good price, but I'd be concerned about no warranty from an unauthorized dealer.
  10. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Thanks, that thought did cross my mind. Also not knowing which revision it is.
  11. gsusmood

gsusmood

Hey this is very helpful even if you cant answer about the loudness. I think I can achieve a pleasing tone out of the V4b. Also I have to finish the repair of the cab since am only running 5 speakers and 3 blown, so theres a difference to on this. at this point I will pull it to this amp and do a good test on it if it certainly not fit the style and headroom I still have 30 days to send it back and so. But I think I can make a good sound out of it, its a very versatile amp for such a simple circuitry.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Get the speakers fixed before you use that cab with the V4. With only 5 speakers working you'll have a 6.4 ohm load, not an ideal match for the amp. Might even be better to unplug one more and run it as an 8 ohm 4x10.
  13. johnpbass

johnpbass

A PF800 eh? And you always say your band is "quiet" stage volume wise.;)
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Trust me...I won't give it nearly as much gas as I could be giving it ;) But the sound of it got me. I don't usually treasure headroom, but I do in most micros, and I really believe that the extra headroom makes a positive difference in tone.
  15. johnpbass

johnpbass

Agree - more headroom is better with micros IME.
    I've not heard the PF800 in person but I'm sure it sounds great. If it sounds as good as the PF350 it's a winner IMO!
  16. gsusmood

gsusmood

I had the PF350 and the 800 a sounds a little bit different cause it have the Mid section with the switch.

I would like to heard a comparison on this two guys. I mean, I will definitely will get the V4b but you know Internet ruins and we research way to much this days...
  17. mbelue

mbelue

This subject brings up an interesting question.
    When using such a low wattage cab, what is the merit of all that extra headroom? Wouldn't a PF-500 have nearly double the headroom(in Watts) the cab's rating? And the 800 be certain death to those vintage speakers?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't see a whole lot of merit in huge headroom in tube and traditional SS amps, but in micros, I think it helps a lot. Makes it tighter and hit a little harder. If the 500 gets it done for you, though, have at it.

And no, if you have a little common sense, the 800 won't be certain death to cabs with a lower power handling ability than the head can put out. They do come with volume knobs.
  19. gsusmood

gsusmood

I have not seen or better say heard the speakers distort from the Cab. Even if they are stock, At least the ones that works. I contacted a guy here in Orlando that recone speakers and repairs so am taking the cab after last show on Dic so he can take care of the old guy and bring it to life. This thing of finding the next Amp is constant ups and downs LOL! One day your like ill do this then your like nah am going with the other one...
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Are you going to Central Fla. Speaker? They did the recones in my old SVT 810...they sound fabulous.
  21. gsusmood

gsusmood

Yes. plus I have read that recome the speakers is better than getting new ones