Ampeg pf-800 vs 7 Pro - which comes closest to an SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by the dude, Mar 6, 2014.

1. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't have a PF-800, though I do have a PF-500 and I have heard the PF-500/800 back to back at NAMM. The PF-800 sounds very much like the PF-500, but you can keep turning it up without running out of steam. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

I do have a 7Pro, and I've A/B'd the PF-500 and the 7Pro many times. With a little extrapolation, here, I think I have a feel for how the 7Pro and PF-800 would compare. Tonally, the 7Pro has more fullness down low, and this extends up through the lower to middle mids. From the middle of the midrange on up, things are pretty darned similar. Maybe a tad more smoothness way up high with the 7Pro. Either head will let you dial in a very identifiable "Ampeg tone," though to be honest, I don't think that either one really nails the sound I get out of a nicely dialed-in SVT. And of course, that visceral slam which the SVT delivers in spades is something I have not found in any solid state or hybrid heads.

Long story short, though, the 7Pro gets closer to the SVT, IME/IMHO, based upon its bigger low end and somewhat more full tone, overall. YMMV, of course.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd agree with Tom, but having said that, I just snagged a PF800 instead and I'm quite happy with it as a backup to my tubers.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots to love about the PF-800, for sure. It is notably smaller and lighter, and sounds great.

5. Register to disable this ad