1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg PF cabs vs Hartke AK cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Needenaneden, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Has anyone ever had the chance to compare the Ampeg PF cabs to the Hartke AK cabs. I can't test either out so have to go on the advice of you wise people. I was all set to order the Hartke but then just discovered the Ampeg PF line. Are they close in tone? What is the construction like of these cabs?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The AK cabs most resemble the sound of the Ampeg 810e and 410he, with a higher tuned low end than the PF cabs, which have pretty deep lows. I don't know much about the construction of the AK cabs but I had a couple PF115he's at one time and they were quite well constructed IMHO with a good grade of plywood.
  3. shoot-r

shoot-r

I own a Ampeg PF-115HE cabinet and I'm in the process of selling it and (maybe) going to the Hartke HyDrive series cabinets.
    The HyDrives are the same cabinet as the AK just with different drivers and the AK's use grill cloth instead of a metal grill.

The Pf-115HE is a decent sounding, low output (NOT a loud band cab IMO), sealed (if you like the sealed sound) style of cabinet.
    The one I have had a bad lid rattle and the lid would move around in transport.
    I picked-up 16 screws and finishing washers and screwed the lid down.
    Doesn't move or rattle now...
    The blue/black diamond tolex is thin and easily damaged, mine has pealed up in places and had to be reglued.