Ampeg PF vs Hartke Lh

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grey9968, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Grey9968

Grey9968

Looking at buying the Ampeg pf500 with the pf115 cab OR the Hartke LH500 with 410 hartke cab. Will be using a Marcus Miller Jazz. Can anyone recommend which is best please? I after a fairly bright punchy sound and play with 2 guitarists and one noisy arsed drummer!! Any help appreciated
  2. Felpsy

Felpsy

My lh500 got plenty bright and punchy but absolutely no way to get any grit or drive out of it. Hence why I flogged it for an ashdown abm.
  3. Felpsy

Felpsy

Oh and as far as volume, pretty sure they could keep up with 3 guitarists and 2 drums!
  4. MP87

MP87

My pf500 through a 8 ohm 410 cab keeps up great with a loud drummer and one guitard.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing wrong with either. Played both, liked both, went with Ampeg.
  6. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

Hartke: Power, Reliability, and Tone.

I've been using an LH500 for a while through various cabs and I can't get enough of that tone. It has that vintage warmth (and roundness when needed), but with this awesome clarity and punch. There's a ton of power and it's clean all the way up. I just bought a Sansamp for some dirt/grind when needed. I'd rather have a head that can stay clean at ridiculous volumes and use a pedal for distortion, than a really dirty sounding head that farts out when you need that extra little boost.
  7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Between those two I would say Hartke if you are wanting bright and punchy. The Ampeg would be good if you wanted a warmer more vintage tone.
  8. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

That's a 50/50 toss up for me! Both sound great in their own way.
  9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

+10. Go for the LH1000, more watts eqauls more fun! :bassist:
    If you upgrade in the future, you will have some firepower available. Keep in mind the flat setting for the head is 1.5 for the bass and treble with the mids at 10. I would suggest adding an external EQ pedal to the head for further tone shaping.
  10. Grey9968

Grey9968

Can't afford the lh1000! Just seen a site called guitar centre which had a huge used section. Does anyone know if they ship to the uk?