Ampeg PF350/500 Part V

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

Thanks, Chef! I thought I would start this new thread off with some love. I've been a bit of a negative nancy about my PF-500 giving me some trouble with 2 cabs, but I rocked it at the gig last Friday (single cab) with no trouble.

I did end up making the switch to an SVT7PRO, but the 500 does so well with one cab that I may have to end up picking up another PF-500/350 to have for small rooms (about 75% of my gigs) and backup. That said, I am subscribed and will keep following along with the latest news about this intriguing little amp.

For now, I'm gonna haul around the 7 and jealously creep this forum until I figure out what my next PF move is going to be.

Party on, Garth.

Attached Files:

3. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

So back to this porting the PF cabs discussion...has anyone found out any TS specs on the purple 15?

4. mattsdad

mattsdad

My PF 500 took a dump after 2 months! Geez! Stuck in fault mode.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

So much for starting out with some good vibes! :rollno:

7. GregT

GregT

The picture you posted was a really cool vibe and a great place to start the thread. Even in the red lighting, the purple bar shines through, not unlike the PF series shining through it all.

8. Zapp

Zapp

if you discover, I'd be wanting to know what ailed the 500. these things bug me....

9. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

I'm getting good vibes from your keyboard player. :D

[​IMG]

10. Rick&jazzbacker

Rick&jazzbacker

Humm (grrr!), was supposed to buy it tomorrow... I'm wondering if the Eden wtx500 would be more reliable than the pf-500...?

11. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

Thanks!

Abridged version for those just tuning in: I discovered that my PF-500 couldn't handle low-frequncey transients (slaps, digging-in, heavy picking) while powering a 4ohm load. The solution was either squash the heck out of my signal with compression, or up my game to a 7pro. I choose the 7pro.

Bottom line is it always performed great with 1 cab, just didn't work out for me with 2. Despite my trouble, I still think it's a great amp and I'm serious about getting another one (or else I wouldn't be here). But for now, she's the one that got away :bassist:

12. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

LOL! Get in line ;)

(a line I am not in btw... happily married to a non-bandmate).

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Wow. It sounds like the PF is not really ready for prime time. I know some have had luck with it, but in reality it sounds like when players push it, the unit buckles. Can't have that. I've been an Ampeg fan since I bought my first brand new Ampeg V4B (that's dating me lol) but this is a whole new brave world, and I'm just not sure Ampeg got it right... wow this is a long thread... looks like a lot of people want Ampeg to work out, but does Ampeg see all the complaints and problems? Or have they gone pure corporate????
    Good luck all PF owners...

14. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Hmm...my PF500 has performed flawlessly for nearly 10 months running both 8 and 4 ohm loads. It mainly is my rehearsal rig but it has made its way occasionally to live gig use.

15. mattsdad

mattsdad

You got a good one. Me, I'm getting mine fixed locally here per repair coverage. I'm gonna tell him to fix it GOOD. I'll even pay extra.
    Will probably save up for the SVT7PRO. Hopefully that one won't cut out as much.

16. GregT

GregT

Hope no one minds me mentioning again just how much I am enjoying the headphone jack on the PF500. I just got lost in outer space playing my Precision at 11:30 PM. My headphones aren't anything spectacular, but the tone and vibe were still there.

17. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN Supporting Member

I haven't tried the headphones on it yet. From what you say I think I'm going to give it a try tonight. My wife will probably thank you for silencing my night playing.

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I've never had it happen to mine in the 10 or 11 months I've owned it and I've pushed it pretty hard almost always with a 4 ohm load. Remember that the reports you see here are mostly going to be those with issues. These amps have apparently been selling in pretty large volume, and many of us are not having problems with them.

19. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Another practice with my PF500 running through the keyboard amp, and while I have yet to be named an official member of the band, they like that I can be heard over one of the guitarists (the other has heard of "reasonable rehearsal volume", so he and I get along quite well.)

20. SkiFor3

SkiFor3

The headphones out does sound good. I bought a nice pair of over the ear studio headphones but even with just ear buds it sounded good. I wish you could adjust the line in volume though on the amp. It runs a little too hot. If i plug my phone into it the volume at its lowest setting its louder than i want.

21. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Yeah that's my only issue as well, the line in is pretty hot. Usually if I'm practicing with my laptop as the source if I pause then start a song at playing volume it will overdrive the input and fade out for a second then come back (just the audio signal, not the bass signal).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.