Ampeg PF350/500 Part VI

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

Jimmy, you connect your VT pedal to the front of your amp?

3. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Part VI and my PF500 still functions perfectly.

4. dogmeat08

dogmeat08 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1

Still rocking my PF500 and 2 x PF115HE's. Nothing but compliments on tone and looks.

5sg.

7. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Got my PF-500 and have a PF-115LF in the mail.

Looking forward to playing with that, then adding a 2nd cab....

8. carl h.

carl h.

Mine is gigging regularly with 410 cabs, and I just picked up another one in a PF210 here.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    VT Deluxe. And I had stopped for a couple months, but I'm going to start running it again, but not for the clean sound...just for dirt and as a splitter/EQ for my upright.

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Still dig my PF-500 with my fEARful cabs. Sounds great with my 1515/66, and with my old 15/6. Have a pair of 12/6's in the works that should be killer with it as well!

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Ordered a PF350 over the weekend as a Christmas present to me. Hope to have it by next weekend.
    I know you guys have said that the PF amps sound better with sealed cabs, but I'll be using it with 1 or 2 GB Focus 115s - which are bottom vent ported. I'm still expecting it to sound great with those 15s though!

12. shredhead68

shredhead68

My PF500 turned a year old this month and is still going strong without a single hiccup ! I initially purchased the head and a PF210HE, then later added a PF115HE. I dig it. Especially with the most recent addition to the family; my new G&L L2000. REALLY happy with my gear and my tone these days.

13. ddbassGA

^ PF + L2K = awesome (see my Avatar).

14. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I've used my VT right into the effects return. It sounds and works great. Gotta remember to have that effects mix all the way up.

15. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

My PF350/2x210av stack still sounds great, and still no issues!
    New Proton sounds great through it, and I'll let you know how my Green Mile sounds when the slow boat from China ports!

J!

16. JWP

JWP

will be ordering a second 115 he tomorrow!

17. Grateful

Just took delivery of a PF-115LF to go with my PF-500.

Looking forward to testing it out...

18. ddbassGA

Tell us all about it. Been dying to hear one.

19. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

FYI - I have been using my PF-500/115 rig without issue. This week I was the house bassist for a blues jam and had the use of the house' 1x15 Thiele box, onto which I stacked my PF rig. Ran it into both cabs at 4 ohms for four hours without issue. First hour I played the house band set, then for each guest bassist I setup the input and gain settings for them, then I played the final set. Rig sounded great all night, no issues. Not a huge sample size but I thought I should add to the success stories.

20. Grateful

Rehearsal report #1.

Note: I've been playing exclusively through 10" speakers for the last few of years, minus a brief affair with a 12" cab a couple of years back. This is my first 15".

I took the PF-115LF and PF-500 to their first rehearsal together last night [see crappy cellphone pic below]. 6 piece Blues/Rock outfit, 2 guitars, keys, drummer singer. Fairly hefty volume at times. I took my brightest and darkest basses, both 5 string as are all my basses. As you can see in the background, the band is used to hearing the 810e.

The tone I'm after is one that is more bottom heavy, that is as much felt as heard. It's all finger-style with no slap or distortion/OD effects or any of that. One thing I can not stand is mid-honk and that awful ganky sound that often goes with it. But there needs to be some clarity as well. There are always at least 2 basses in my set up, one set up with flats for the Blues stuff, and one set up with nickels for the Rock stuff. I don't fiddle with amp settings other than the mute button.

The amp was set with the drive at noon, the tone controls at ~1 o'clock (freq at 3) and the volume never went above noon. I removed the rear casters to tilt it up a little for better monitoring and neither Neither I nor the band had any problem at all hearing it. The low end was huge and thick, with the 15 seeming to handle the low B with no issues whatsoever, even when I just thumped on the open string of the Dark Bass for no reason other than to hear it fart out. It mocked me instead and just kept thumping.

With the bright bass on some rock tunes, it sounded amazing. So much growl and tone without brittle highs or gank. It was definitely within millimeters of the tone in my head. There is plenty of brightness available (IMHO) if you're not a slapper.

As usual, in low volume situations, the combo sounds great w/ Ultra Hi and Ultra Low turned on. And as usual, they are pretty worthless when cranked up.

I was evaluating this cab to see how it did on it's own so that I could decide whether to add a 210he or a 115he for bi amping, or to just get another of these and have the bionic 2x15 that fits in the back seat of my 4 door import. The reality is that this cab did really well on it's own, and I'll not need more for any gig w/ FOH support. I'll only add another cab if we start doing more non-PA supported gigs. A nice bonus there is that these cabs will also handle my SVT4-Pro (except for Mono Bridged).

Other comments:

- If you are a slapper, or need a bright trebly tone, this is likely not your cab.
    - The really cool checkered patterned material marks up easily. Best to accept it, get over it and move on with your life.
    - The really cool checkered patterned material is dead sexy looking.
    - Tone vs. portability is very, very high. Great tone, super easy to move around.

Here's a pic as tested. Excuse the clutter in front of the amp. The tonebone power supply cable broke and I had to patch manually. Things were a little frantic at the time the picture was taken...

[​IMG]

21. Jwood

Jwood

I've got a PF500 and 115HE, getting ready to order a second 115HE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.