1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg pf500 compressor

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mjpbass, May 16, 2013.

1. mjpbass

mjpbass

Following some recent advice, I want to start trying (lots of) compression on my sound.

Now, I have ZERO experience with compression, Ive just bought an ampeg pf500 with a built in compressor on it, and I'd like to know how good a compressor has this amp got? Is it worthy of using lots of often, or was it just something they added to the head as another (but useless) selling point? Being that its only 1 knob, how does it weigh up to buying an actual compressor for my setup?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, and before I get torn apart, yes I searched, but there are like 5000 posts about these heads, and the search function on the talkbass phone app is TERRIBLE.

Thanks for your time y'all
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If you can hear a compressor greatly effecting your sound, you are using it wrong. IMHO the compressor on the PF-500 is decent. Not fantastic, but pretty good in the context of the amp. You should really only see it lighting up on your hardest hits.
  3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I have the same amp. Been messing with it lately.

I have a rackmounted compressor and it's complicated, :confused: it has lots of knobs and numbers and a threshold. hahaha. :D

This amp is small and simple to use. The one knob compression is just a cool add on. I usually have mine set around 1 o'clock. just enough to soften any attacks on the highs.
  4. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

I have used my PF500 or almost a year now, and I do use the compressor to trim the peaks just a bit. It seems to be a decent one knob compressor. Of course, it would not likely stand up too well in a comparison with a serious pro level comp with all kinds of tweakable parameters. But for what it is, it's a very reasonable addition to an already nice amp.

The thing about compressors is that, unless you want to use one as a very audible effect (pumping, long swelling sustain), it should be pretty transparent while it does its thing to your playing dynamics.

good luck
  5. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

I like to use the M-Comp (which I believe is modeled after the EBS Multi-Comp, a pedal that most bassists seem to like) on my Zoom B3 into my PF500. I like the one on the amp a bit, but I'm getting a tone I like much better out of the B3
  6. mjpbass

mjpbass

Great responses, thanks for all your input guys.
    Tbh as a rookie of all things compressed, I'm thinking of going for quite an in your face compression to see how that fits. The sound I'm after is a rather bass heavy, long sustain kind of thing. Similar to the new Queens of the Stone age material.
    From what I gather here, although the pf500 may have a great natural sounding compression, it might not be full on enough for my needs.