1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg PF500 Direct Out Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperK, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

I played a gig last night with my PF500 and I used the XLR out to go direct into the PA. The problem was that the signal was way too loud for the PA. The sound guy couldn't get the volume down into the mix. I switched the -40dB switch in and that cut the volume but at this point the sound guy lost his patience (he was an hour late) and just threw a mic on the cab. This wasn't my preferred choice in getting to the PA but it was a small enough venue that my cab did most of the heavy lifting anyway.

So, to avoid this in the future should I always have the -40dB switch pushed in when going direct or does it depend on how the PA is wired? Does anybody use the built in direct out on the PF500 or are most of you using external DI's?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't he just turn the gain on his channel down?
  3. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

:I agree with jimmy, ;) who doesnt tho? but yeah the sound guy probably sucks, most of the time you can turn down the gain in whatever channel he put you in.
  4. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Unfortunately there wasn't any time to get into it with him. He was way late so we had to do a "quickie" sound check. He spent about 20 seconds trying to play with the mix before he just decided to mic the cab. He wasn't the most competent sound guy.

So when would I need to use the -40dB switch? My other amps and direct boxes didn't have an option for this so it's new to me.
  5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I usually start with no pad, and they can ask for the pad if its too hot. Takes about 10 seconds for a guy who knows what they are doing on a board.
  6. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Sounds like the average "I don't deserve my job" sound guy. It's not your fault. If you don't typically have a problem with volume/output, it's most likely the sound guy. Granted, adjust when the situation calls.
  7. cableguy

cableguy

+1

So he was late but your band paid for it........nice. Probably used a SM57 to mic you too.:eyebrow:
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

Use the -40dB out & then he can adjust as needed. If he can't get enough out of it, then try turning that off. I've found that I ALWAYS need the pad on mine.
  9. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Nope. It was a cheap SM58 knock off. Wasn't even on a stand. Just hanging over the top of my cab. :mad:
  10. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I have heard this complaint before and have experienced it also... Modern Ampeg DI's have a very hot output level. Mine too... both my SVT 4 Pro and my BA-115 have a very hot DI output. He apparently doesn't know much about his console, as I have never seen a mixer without input level controls so I can only assume he was not qualified for the job. This is written about every few months here on TB. Sorry to hear of your sound person issues.

I have started bringing another DI box with me as my Ampeg does not have a ground lift and occasionally it has a buzz in it's DI output, out comes the back-up DI and I am good to go...
  11. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I think it was just a case of an inexperienced sound guy. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since the amp is new to me.

Side note: I've read lots of negative reviews on the PF500 and I know people have had issues, but this amp has worked flawlessly for me. It took some playing around to get the tone I was looking for but now that I have it dialed in I love this amp!
  12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

yeah, input level AND pad switches on the console...... Mic vs line level.

If they are thinking of mic level give them the pad. If they take line level, don't.