1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg PF500 & SVT210AV

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperK, Oct 8, 2013.

1. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Is anyone using an PF500 with the SVT210AV micro cabs? I'm just curious to see how the amp fits on top of the cab. Any pics would be awesome. Looks like the cab footprint is 13x11 and the amp footprint is 14x11. Just curious to see how they fit together.

Thanks.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry, I only have a PF350 I use with mine. But I'll bump it for the morning crowd.
  3. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

So after reading so many good things about the SVT210AV cabinets I decided to sell my PF115HE and grab a pair of them. I like the flexibility of having two lightweight cabs much better and the sound is what I have been looking for. But....

The PF500 doesn't fit too nicely on top of the cabs. In this pic here you can see that the rubber feet of the amp hang about half way off on each side.

[​IMG]

This wasn't stable enough for me. One good bump and the head would come sliding off. So I made a little shelf for it. First I got some rubber feet from FlipTops that will fit in the cups on the top of the cabinet. Then I screwed them into a piece of plywood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made a cutout to account for the handle on top of the amp.

[​IMG]

And it sits nicely now. I sprayed the plywood with some spray-on truck bed liner so it has a rubbery non-slip surface similar to tolex. Now I won't have to worry about someone knocking my amp onto the stage!

[​IMG]
  4. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Ohh... Thanx for answering a couple of my questions, before I even asked them:)

I'm considering either the 500 or 350, but probably with just one cab. At least at first. Could you or somebody else say something about how the 210 compares to the 115?
  5. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Which 115 are you referring to? The PF115HE? Or the PF115LF? Or some other one?
  6. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Oh, sorry the PF115HE you mentioned. Was trying to keep it short while typing on my phone :)

Edit; I see you have 2x210´s, have you tested with just one?
  7. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

The PF115HE will go lower than the 210AVs and it will take more power. The 210AVs are only rated at 200W while the PF115HE is rated at 450W. So you can't push the 210AV as hard as you can the 115HE.

I have two of the 210AVs now but I played a small gig with just one of them a few weeks ago. I have PA support so ran direct into the PA from my PF500. The 210AV was just for stage volume at that point. We were in tight quarters so I had to stand right in front of it and it was pounding at my knees so I couldn't hear it that well. Everyone said it sounded great though. I can't wait to gig with both of them. Having that second cab up near ear level will help.

Overall I would say that the 210AVs are more punchy and the mids are their sweet spot when compared to the 115HE.
  8. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Thanks. That pretty much confirms what I've gotten from my search around TB so far. Northern Norway is not the plece to be for a newbie bassplayer trying to find the right sound...:) But from the little I've been able to test and learn from reading, I want "the Ampeg sound" with lots of punch before endless lows. Preferably in a easy to transport and affordable package. Now I think I've narrowed it down to the pf350 or 500 and the 210av or the pf210he. If I could only go somewhere to try them out...:-(

Edit; won't need lots of volume as were not even close to gigging. But then I could always get a second cab:)
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Two of the 210AV's, are MORE THAN twice as good, as one ... JMHO

.. also, to fit heads with feet wider than the stack, I have done two things ... one was to simply move the feet on the head IN, so that they rested squarely on the cab

... the other was to simply install tall rubber feet INTO each of the 4 cups on top the cab (using longer screws than are currently there), and then when I stack the two cabs, THAT cab always goes to the top, and holds ANY head squarely, straddling the handle ... it doesn't matter if the head/rack has feet or not that way ... easy, peasy ... ;)
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Yes but the 210AV has that glorious old school midrange like a mini-fridge.