Ampeg PF500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grey9968, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Grey9968

Grey9968

Looking a plumpin for one of these fellas, unsure of which an to get, a 410 or 115? Be using a Marcus miller jazz bass. Need plenty of volume
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you need lots of volume then you need lots of cab. What is your budget, and what is available to you used? For my preferences I would love to pair that amp with a 3015 loaded greenboy Dually. If you were going to stay with in the Ampeg family then a pair of PF115LF's would be the way I would go.
  3. hover

hover

There's a multi-page megathread on these amps (a few actually) that detail all the pros and cons of the amp and cabs and this or that...take a look for it.
  4. backup

backup

yeah there is lots of info about these.
    i own a pf500+115he and its killer sound but its not what id call plenty volume. two 115 cabs would do better.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grey9968

Grey9968

For the time being my budget is £300 for a cab. Budget for cab and head is£600. How much are these greenboy and who are they made by? Thanks
  7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    greenboy is a cabinet designer. He has a set of authorized builders, and has a builder in the UK. Right now I think they are only doing flat packs for the fEARful line, but that might have or may be changing. His cabs are not cheap, but there are no corners cut. Sadly I dont think they will fit into your £300 budget. The cabs are still worth checking out for some perspective though. If you can stretch your budget just a bit the PF 115 LF would be a very good option with a PF-500.
  8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

It's a great amp. I think it goes very good with 15's.
  9. backup

backup

yes i wouldnt recommend 2 LF's though. the 115HE has better mids imo and got more than enough lows. 115HE+LF could be interesting
  10. Grey9968

Grey9968

Looking like the pf115 then! Gonna check these greenboys out though, and this may be a silly question but what does LF stand for on eqpt?
  11. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I am running the PF-500 with the 115LF and I absolutely love it. I never take the volume or gain past 12 and it fits right in with our 6 piece blues-rock band. It takes the low B on my 5 strings with no problems while still being surprisinlgy bright. I'll be adding another identical cab for unsupported gigs. I play all fingerstyle with 5 string P's w/flats and J's w/nickels with no effects, and am after an older school vibe.

Note: If you are needing to slap, you might consider something with a tweeter.
  12. backup

backup

im not sure about the abbreviation but LF is ported and HE is sealed. ported cabs go lower than their sealed counterparts. PF115HE goes lower than many ported cabs though.
    my guess is LF stands for low frequency.
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    And I would recommend not mixing cabs like that. If someone preferred the tone of one cab over the other I would recommend doubling up with matching cabs. For my tonal goals I prefer the LF over the HE, I dont find the LF to be lacking mids when compared to the HE. What I do see lacking is the tweeter, but that is just fine by me, as the HE's tweeter doesnt sound particularly fantastic to me.
  14. backup

backup

nobody on TB recommends it. still the LF is sold as an extension cab for HE and im curious as to how these sound together. im sure it wouldnt be disastrous
  15. Grateful

You could maybe bi-amp it, but not with a PF-500...

I had thought of guinea-pigging the HE/LF stack bi-amped with my SVT-4 Pro. But I bought the LF first and am so in love with that tone that I just want more of it. Besides, I find myself usually turning tweeters way down or off anyway (if it won't fry the circuitry).
  16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I have read nothing that says the LF is an extension to the HE. In fact the LF extends only ~3 hz below the HE, so its not some hugely low tuned cabinet. What is difference is how that low end feels. Both are good to some, I prefer a ported cab. Two of them would kill.
  17. dbd1963

dbd1963

Let me add a vote for PF500 + 2 x 115he. I really only need one for the little gigs I do, but 2 cabs is pretty sweet.
  18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah bi-amping is an option, but there is little to no gain with full range drivers.
  19. Grateful

+1
  20. kpc

kpc

The PF 410 would work well. It's also ported!:bassist:
  21. Grey9968

Grey9968

I after a quite bright punchy sound that still has the good bottom end. Don't seem to be able to get this with a 410 (admittedly that's with a mag300 though. Would I still get good top end tones with 115(s)??