ampeg porta bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by B String, Jun 7, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the new Ampeg Porta bass cabs?
    The 1x12 box looks very interesting, but Ampeg
    hasen't published specs other than weight.
    ARE THESE BOXES ANY GOOD???

2. Christopher

Christopher

Ampeg has virtually no specs on these apart from the press release blurb. My guess is that they haven't started shipping these yet.

3. ashbory

ashbory

I tried the Ampeg 1x10" last weekend, not enough low end in my opinion. It is super light and has good sound - but is more in a practice amp league than something you could use, in a even an acoustic jam setting.
    They didn't have the 1x12" in stock, which is probably a notch up in usefulness.
    I ended up buying a Yorkville 2x10" which sounded better and louder than the other small cabinets I tried - ashdown, bag end etc.
    I think the yorkville is just under 50 lbs, so I can now carry my bass, amp and accessories in one trip, which was my goal.
    The popular opinion seems to be one 1x12" can do the job , but you will want to add a second one.
    So my take on it is, if you are looking for a small cab, I would say try out some 2x10's as well as the 1x12", since you may end up hauling more weight and pieces with two 1x12's.

4. Christopher

Christopher

I see Elderly has some in now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

I know Rudy's here in NYC has a 2x10. really really light. i mean lift with my two fingers light. didnt have a chance to play thru it, but it did have a Portabass amp ontop.

7. MrGump

MrGump

I tried a Porta bass head with a 1x10 cabinet.I thought it was great! Had respectable bottom for a cabinet that small.
    Although I must say,Im not experienced with what I call "modern" cabinets.i.e.Epifani,Bergantino,SWR,Bag End etc.
    The only experience I have with any of them,is I had an VERY early Epifani 1x10 for about a week.It was ok but it "farted" with a 5string at volume.
    I thought the Ampeg was more capable.
    Id love to hear the 2x10! Comes with a handle and wheels!It cant weigh much.The 1x10 weighed next to nothing.
    I wish you could use a second 1x10 cabinet.But they are 4 ohms each,and the head cant handle less than a two ohm load.
    I would like to get a "modern" sounding amp and cabs.
    Can anyone out there experienced with this stuff,tell me how the Porta bass stuff compares to others?
    Anyone try these bottoms with a different head?
    I play 5 strings almost exclusively so B string tone is crucial.Thanks

8. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

They also make a 2x12 that has wheels and a dolly handle. I think it weighs 38 pounds. Couple that with a PB800 head(20 lbs) and you have a powerful rig that weighs under 60 lbs!

Need to check these out myself.

9. DaBassman

DaBassman

I've had a 1 x 12 for about a year. (I use a swr 2004 head).
    The tone is fantastic!!!!! And it's LOUD :D
    It's also extremely light, even came with an detachable (sp?)dolly....

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

I tried a PB250 with a PB2x10 cab. It was nice but I found my B string very unfocused. It sounded muddy and just *wrong*. Put the head to a 4x10 cab and there was no comparison.
    Anyway, might be ok for home practice. But I wouldn't even try to test it in a rehearsal.