1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg PortaBass 1x12 cab...anyone swapped speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JimFog, May 10, 2013.

1. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Hey,

I have one of the PortaBass 1x 12 cabs for small gigs and rehearsals, and I dig it. I'd like to get another and pair them up for bigger shows, but they're 4 ohm. Has anyone ever swapped speakers, with any success (or warnings?). Think some kind of NEO 12" 8ohm wouldn't add much weight.

Thoughts?
  2. DaBeat

DaBeat

"BUMP"

No thoughts, not yet.
    I have the same interest! But never tried another speaker. It should be a really good, comparable sound. It´s a sealed cabinet. The air volume is about 40 ltrs. Same question - any thoughts?
  3. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

4. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Thanks, Codger......interesting thread, but unfortunately only one experience with swapping speakers. Love to hear about anyone else who's tried it.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The problem with your post is that you seem to be unaware that a speaker enclosure has to be specifically designed for the driver selected. You are trying to do the reverse. To do this properly you'll have to measure your cabinet's volume and porting and find a suitable driver. A box design program such as W1nISD can help you with this process.

Easier would be a second identical cabinet and change out your amp to one that can run at 2Ω. Almost any stereo power anp will be fine with a 2Ω load per channel. I run my 4Ω cabinets one per channel.
  6. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

No, that's exactly why I'm asking for specific experiences with speakers in THIS cab. Sorry if that was unclear to you, but thanks for trying to correct me. :rolleyes:
  7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I've no experience with that cab but running a quick and dirty WinISD on 40 liters sealed the Eminence Basslite S2012 (a 12" neo) looks nice, F3 in the low 70s so definitely old school tight bass.
  8. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Good stuff.....thanks!
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I was not in any way correcting you! Merely pointing out what was unclear in your post. Sorry if you got into a huff over it, that was not intended. :D

That said, my post still stands. What amp are you using?
  10. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

you're welcome ;)

the Emi DeltaLite 2512-II would be another good choice (neo 12" 8 ohm), that has a slightly brighter sound if that's what you're looking for as well as more power handling than the S2012.

Both are about the same price and are nice sounding drivers.
  11. Minussss3db

Minussss3db

I did my own search, and these two of all available Neo's are the best in your sealed cabinet...to add that the modest proposal dhsierra1 has made is excellent...because I mean all...
    B&C, faital pro, rcf, selenium, beyma, peavey, jbl, etc....
    or Chinese I do not know...

perhaps I missed one, however I doubt it for anywhere under double the price...: these two are the best...and in fact basically, are all there is for your cabinet...

I hope this helps, and good Luck,
    -3db:p
  12. frant

frant

Is Eminence Beta 12a a good choice for the Portabass cab?
    the original portabass speaker lacks of lows.