Ampeg Portaflex or Acoustic b450?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bammons30, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bammons30

bammons30

Im looking into buying one of these 2 amps.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B450mkII-450W-Bass-Combo-Amp-107901548-i2497482.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-PF-500-Portaflex-and-PF-210HE-Stack-431105-i1821347.gc

I have played Ampegs before and I know their quality and am very pleased with it. But this Acoustic amp really interests me. I like the portaflex overall with its power, sound, and fliptop. But this Acoustic amp is a combo which just makes carrying everything easier. Both can put out the power I need and want considering I can hook up another 4 ohm cabinet to the acoustic amp and get up to 600 watts.

the main issue is i have no experience with Acoustic at all so i dont know their reputation or quality all that well. Can anyone give me opinions on these 2?

Money is also a factor. and with the Acoustic being cheaper its definitely something im considering. Either one i buy will be bought used also.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The Acoustic is entry level, with really cheap spkrs. Ampeg is a much better choice.

3. Zoa

Zoa

I play an Acoustic stack. Get the Ampeg. The Acoustic heads are alright if you like clean thump. They're more powerful that their wattage ratings, and are durable, but heavy. Their cabinets use cheap speakers and are shoddily constructed.

4. inri222

inri222

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As good as that Ampeg is, I dont prefer that ampeg cab. I suggest you look at the PF-115LF instead of the "HE" series cabs.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the HE series fine ;) The HLF and LF go too low for my tastes. So does the PF115he, but it's somewhat controllable.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    As long as he is playing an Ampeg though.... Right? ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, not like I get commissions ;)

10. southpaw723

southpaw723

The portaflex would probably be more portable because of the flip top thing. That acoustic probably weighs 80 pounds.

11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I know, and you know I have nothing but love for my Ampeg gear.

That said we do have different tastes in our sound. So to the OP, take it for what it is. You will find people that enjoy the same amp through different cabs, or different amps through the same cab.

If you took all the gear that I owned, and all the gear that Jimmy owns, and mish-mashed rigs together either one of us could get a workable sound out of it. He might prefer certain pieces more than I, but it would all be workable.

Jimmy's Herritage SVT+810 might not be on my gas list, nor my Classic 400 +'66 on his, but he would still sound like Jimmy through my rig.

What all that really boils down to is that you need to figure out what sounds good to your ear.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I don't know that much about Chinese made Acoustic stuff, but I have heard that they are OK. That said, even though I prefer Acoustic Control or USA Acoustic amplifiers over Ampeg, I would probably go with the Portaflex if I was making the same choice you are.

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Don't know if I would be comfortable buying the PF-500 used though. After warranty support for the "Acoustic" is from what I have heard really sketchy.

14. Joedog

Joedog

Of those 2...Ampeg for sure. You might also want to take a quick look at the Genz Benz Contour combos. They are blowing them out for about $350 shipped!!!! 500W w/an extension cab (another $225 if you want their matching cab), 300W and loud as a stand alone.