Ampeg Power Switch - Broken?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stodgers, Mar 14, 2014.

1. stodgers

stodgers Supporting Member

So last night, as I wrap up practicing, I go to switch off my SVT-3PRO head, and the switch won't move. "Huh?", thinks I, who then tries again. Still doesn't move. Then I give it justa little extra.

*Snap*

Power stays on, switch flips back and forth, nothing happens. What have I done, and should I crack it open to find out, or wait for a professional to look?

It's plugged into a power strip, so in the meantime, that is my power switch. Is that going to do any damage if I use it in lieu of the amp switch? Does it defeat the 'warm up' function somehow?
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you have experience repairing electronics then replace the switch. If you don't, let someone who does replace the power switch.
  3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

What Paul there said.

Your switch contacts have deteriorated/arced, heated up and melted the plastic switch internals.

The springs have also lost their ability to press the contacts together, so the heating will continue.

If the power draw isn't swevere enough to break the fuse, the switch will probably catch fire.

So, the answer to Your question is a definite YES, it'll do some damage eventually one way or another.
    IMO/IME anyway.

Regards
    Sam