1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Pro Neo 210 / PF500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JC Thunder, Nov 26, 2013.

1. JC Thunder

JC Thunder

Hey TBers,

I'm a long time Ampeg fan and love my SVT classic amp and 410hlf cab, However we have a gig we play several times a year whereas the stage is extremely small. I have to stand within a foot of my rig. My knees dig it...but I cannot hear a thing. This place provides the PA and the crappy hotspot monitors cannot handle any bass. It's a fun gig and pays well so we keep doing it. Another issue is the gig is located downtown in a large Midwest city so parking nearby is limited. My Rig is simply not suited for this application. I need something I can hear and light enough to lug around downtown. Markbass is a great amp/cab and would probably work...but hey, I'm a hard core Ampeg guy. I'm thinking a Ampeg Pro Neo 210 tilt back cab (44 lbs) and a new PF500 amp may work. This is basically the same configuration as a MB 102 CMD. Problem is I cannot find a pro neo cab nearby to try. I looked around the forum but have not ran across anyone using this config and wondered if anyone could provide feedback?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have not tried the Pro Neos, but word from my Ampeg buddies is that they sound like Ampeg, only a little bit cleaner and tighter.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would consider a 4 ohm cab so you get more power from the head. Is the Ampeg available in 4 ohms? If not, the Avatar B210 is and it's quite affordable. So is the Carvin 10.2. On the higher end, the ACME 210 is KILLER. You'll still get the Ampeg sound like I do with my PF-350 + Avatar SB112.
  4. JC Thunder

JC Thunder

Good to hear the pro neo has that Ampeg sound. That's what I needed to know.

The pro neo is 8 ohms. The nice thing about the pro neo 210 is it is a tilt back with a lot of surface area touching the floor. One thing I failed to mention is that I run a second 210 cab on the other side of the stage so the guitarist can hear it...so I am running 4 ohms.

I also have a Avatar tb153 but it's 4 ohms and not suited for this application. I use it for large gigs on the other side of the stage in conjunction with the 410hlf and SVT classic at 2 ohms.

Thanks for the replies...I think ill gas up for the 210 pro neo and pf500.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I would do the pro-neos with your SVT.
  6. JC Thunder

JC Thunder

I like the pro neo / SVT idea... But if I tilt back the pro neo I really don't have to place to sit the SVT. The PF500 is smaller and 80 lbs lighter. I literally had to park 5 blocks from the gig on the 5th floor of a garage last time. I only plan to use this rig in places with a tight stage. I'm just happy to find a Ampeg solution for this type of gig...
  7. JC Thunder

JC Thunder

Just a quick follow up. I pulled the trigger and purchased the PF500 and a Ampeg Pro Neo 2x10 cab. I took it to our gig last night and Wow. By far the best amp / 2x10 Combination I have ever played through (And I have owned several). The 2x10 was so powerful you could feel the floor vibrate on the other side of the stage per our guitarist. I was not driving it hard and the volume level was perfect with plenty of headroom to spare. At one point I put my foot on the cab by the bottom port and the air movement was unreal. We were using very little PA support at this gig and the bass filled the venue. I did not use a second cab so it was running at 8 ohms. The lows were fine...I even had to mix in more mid which I usually never do. This is the closest I have come to having my full rig sound in a small lightweight combo. My band mates (all 20 year music vets) were also impressed by the overall tone and immediately come over after the first break to see the new toy. I rarely use the same rig setup from one gig to the next...but I think I found a winning combination with the PF500 and Pro Neo 2x10. We play again tonight and I'm looking forward to firing up this mini beast again.
  8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That's cool man! Bass Gear reviewed that cab I believe, and liked it. Might have been the 410....
  9. JC Thunder

JC Thunder

Thanks Jeff7, I'll see if I can find the review in Bass Gear. I'm so impressed with the Pro Neo 210 that I plan to gas up for a PN410 and keep my 410HLF parked at the practice house (semi retirement).
  10. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Why not get a second Pro Neo 210? If you like one, you'll love two.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed with Bitterdale. That would be the move. Glad you enjoyed it! The PN cabs are about the only ones I haven't got to try yet. Sounds like a winner.
  12. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Glad you found a solution that works, even more so that it was Ampeg. I agree with Jummy and BitterDale, a second PN210 is probably a better answer.
  13. bassguppy

bassguppy

I'd grab a second PN-210 cab as it will be a much better match. Enjoy the cabs, I have a pair of the PN115's and the build quality, weight, and sound of the PN series are superb.