Ampeg Question for Jimmy...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FiveStringer1, Mar 21, 2014.

1. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Hello Jimmy and all the rest of you fellow bassists!

I was told to come on here and ask you a question about an SVT 810E and just purchased two; they are on their way!

I run a SansAmp RBI with a QSC PLX1602 and am wondering how to connect both cabs to one amp. I would prefer to
    run bridged mono. I see the cabs are split into two cabs, which is where I am confused.

We are now playing larger stages and I want the look and the sound pounding me in the back! :cool:

:bassist:
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're split into two cabs, but they can be run as one as well. Either bridged or separate power amps should work fine, although I don't have much experience using them with anything but mono output amps.
  3. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Uh, you know you just said "pounding me in the back" right?
  4. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Sorry, I don't get it.

I want my bass sound pounding me in the back.

So, what's up?

Edit... it this a sexual thang??
  5. Teacher

Teacher

6. chuck3

chuck3

not my preference (as a musical thing, forget the other). Rather get a good tube sound in the amp or pre-amp and run it to the FOH, and have a good monitor but keep the stage volume reasonable.
  7. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I believe you'll need to run your amp in normal stereo mode. The 810e is either two 8 ohm sections or One 4 ohm box. So two 810e's = 2 ohms and I don't think your amp will handle 2 ohm loads bridged. It will handle one 810 per side of your amp. And with that much power and speaker area big volume shouldn't be a problem.
  8. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

LOL! :D
  9. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have 2 8 10's and no band I have ever been in would let me bring them both onstage. As stated above , if you run all 8 speakers on an 8 10 it is a 4 ohm load. If you bridge both cabs in any way , you have a 2 ohm load and most amps don't do a 2 ohm load so running mono bridged is NOT a good idea unless your amp is 2 ohm capable. If your amp is stereo , run one output (left side ) to one cab and the other output (right side) to the other cab. This will give you two 4 ohm loads.
    The 8 10 cabs have 5 input jacks. The top one is used to split the cab into two 4 10 8 ohm cabs. The 2 underneath that one are for all 8 speakers at 4 ohms. There are 2 speakon jacks underneath them also to run all speakers at 4 ohms. Use one of either of the double inputs (1/4 inch or speakon) on each amp and run one cab to the right side of a stereo amp and the other to the left side. Bridging the cabs and running mono will give you a 2 ohm load and if your amp is not rated down to 2 ohms , this could end up with bad results. Be sure to wear tight pants as this will result in a loud flapping noise.:hyper:
  10. Sartori

Sartori

Why does everyone seem to think that if your amp is capable of running bridged that you have to do it?
  11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    FiveStringer1, your power amp is safe only down to 4 ohms bridged, so running both cabs that way won't work. What will work is to run the power amp mono and run a cab from each channel. You still have 500 watts per cab so you should be fine.
  12. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

OP, I use to run the same setup but I had 2 Avatar 4x10.
    I used sansamp affect output for top cab and unaffected output for bottom cab.
    I just blend the two together for a great tone.

I also bought a dbx dual 15 band EQ which made it easier to control both cabs with what frequencies I wanted to hit.
    Bottom 4x10 cab was dedicated to bass and treble and top 4x10 cab was sansamp tone in low mids and high mids to provide dirt, grind, and slight distortion. It sounded great.

You do have options with this set up, but bridging ain't one of them.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Has anyone ever tried to vertically stack two 810 cabs? It would look cool.

You could put the head on the top of the stack but you'd look silly climbing up and down a ladder to adjust the knobs during the gig.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Phil Lesh does or did 4 Eden 410's. That's the closest I've seen.
  15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Why ruin the sound of a SVT full stack by running solid state :( ? Get an SVT, V4B, or Fender 100T head and enjoy the awesomeness. I only once used a pair of V9 cabs (ported 9x10's) with my V4B head and it was plenty to hurt myself with. I presently jam with an SVT clone (Bugera BVV3000) into an 8x10 and I've not had it over 1-1/2 on the master - even when playing against three Marshall half stacks. Great tube amp for cheap if you can't afford one of the three I mentioned - I also have a Bugera 1960 (Marshall Plexi/Superbass clone) that's fine if you can live with the vintage Fender style tone stack.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    OK, you can stop there.

:D
  17. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Where are you playing that would require 2 8x10 cabs. And why did you not buy 1 used ampeg 8x10 for $300-500 then buy a used SVT amp.
  18. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

He's obviously never played through a single with a tube head :rollno: .
  19. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

If I buy 1 more 8 10 cab , that will give me a total of 4. Stack two verticaly side by side , run two through the SVT cl and the other two through the old Peavey 400 watt head and cause the next east coast earthquake. :bag:
    I really can't imagine needing more than one cab though.