Ampeg SB-12 latch connection suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by justinf, Dec 3, 2013.

1. justinf

justinf Supporting Member

Hey guys, I have a 60s SB-12 that is much loved for its recording tones. Seems like some of you do too. I don't want to mod the cabinet with a jack, since it's all original (other than 3-prong cord) and in great shape. But I've had a few takes here and there compromised by intermittency in the connections. Yeah, stating the obvious, I know.

Anyone have any tips for how to secure these connections or bypass without modification? I did some searching around and seems like I saw a thread that mentioned foam inserts, but I can't find it now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. lexington125

lexington125

it wouldn't be pretty, but it shouldn't be hard to wire around the latch connection. Connect from the amp at the 'head' side of the latch and connect to the speaker at the cabinet side of the latch. you could wire up short pigtails on either side of the latch that you connect around the latch. (I have a very early SB-12, and use it for just about every studio recording I've made, but have never had this problem)

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

There is some info here that might be of help. If you need to replace your foam gasket because it is compressed, you can get it from fliptops.net. Bending your latch a little to make it close tighter might help.

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    As David mentioned, replacing or building up the gasket can help tighten the latch connection. Another cheap fix that sometimes works is to turn the square head lag bolts 45 degrees, so that a corner is pointing up instead of a flat side.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. justinf

Aha! My gasket is indeed completely compressed. . . a replacement might do the trick. For now I have a couple pieces of foam sandwiched in there and it is an improvement for sure. Thanks!

7. justinf

Update: I just made a free-floating gasket out of packing foam and duct tape. It's perfect. Thanks again guys.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Great!

If what you used doesn't hold up in the long run, you can try a dense closed cell foam such as the type used to seal door frames. It is available at a hardware store. Cut it to fit with a razor blade.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Mine was modded with a 1/4 jack out of the head and into the box but that hasn't diminished my love for the amp one bit. The original speaker wire tie downs to the clamps are still in there.

The latch thing was one of those interesting innovations that didn't really work that well in the real world.