1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AMPEG sound in a budget?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lava4485, Dec 31, 2013.

1. lava4485

lava4485

The question is Simple:
    How do I get AMPEG tone in a budget amount??
    I've looked at some options:

1. Micro-CL comes at around 370USD (if converted to BDT)
    2.Tech21 Sans-amp at around 300USD(if converted to BDT)

Plz tell what U find will be better.

I own a SUB4 Bass and a MXR Bass com. Will buy a delay and chorus soon. :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sansamps are cool but they're not amps or cabs. Micro CL isn't a bad way to go. Not the loudest rig on earth but cops that Ampeg sound to a large degree. If you can save some more money, though, the Micro VR is better.
  3. lava4485

lava4485

I wasn't looking for a loud rig... Sansamp seem to have more tonal option than the CL..... The deluxe has 6-preset! and also I can have some pedals in Fx-loop and can put them on the pedal board!!
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Tech 21 VT Bass with a little bit of Drive added in grabs the feel of an Ampeg tube amp. The Tech 21 BDDI - I don't feel it represents Ampeg at all.
  5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Skip buying the delay and chorus for now and use the extra funds to get the MicroVR as JimmyM suggests.
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Yup, basically this. Unless you have a more pressing need for FX than tone somehow. Overall though, it's hard to give you suggestions as "Ampeg sound" covers a lot of ground too.
  7. johnpbass

johnpbass

So, do you have an amp and cabinet already and are looking for a pedal that can cop the Ampeg tone?
  8. lava4485

lava4485

But don't U guys feel I am gonna have more tones with the VT....... maybe not ampeg.... but nice tones! :/
  9. lava4485

lava4485

My brother owns a jam-pad and I will send the VT to the mixer to a JBL!
  10. Mortom27

Mortom27

+1 on the VT Bass character pedal, is an awesome pc of gear, I leave my ON all the time
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I like the VT a lot, no doubt. And it does a very good job at copping Ampeggy tones, and it will get you a bigger range of dirty tones than the Micro VR. But for clean and mildly distorted tones, the Micro VR will do everything the VT does and it's easier to use. The VT's controls are ultra-sensitive and isn't the easiest pedal to find a tone and change tones on the fly that I've used. Plus it has an advantage of being a full amp that doesn't require your brother ;) Still, I won't tell you not to get the VT...I have a VT Deluxe, and though I don't use it much anymore, it's a great little pedal.
  12. bccbass

bccbass

I think the cheapest way to get the Ampeg tone is the BA-108 combo ($99).
  13. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

You can get a Zoom B3. The SVT amp simulator on that thing is great. It's how I get Ampeg tone when I want it.
  14. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

I figured they were the same amp, just with different tolex on 'em. I'm not saying that I disagree, I just figured.
  15. lava4485

lava4485

I got a Ibanez SW15 amp-combo...... Its a little bed-room amp. It doesn't wake up my family members when I play at night!! :meh:
    I might be using it when practicing by my-self....

BTW another QUES: I played the VT Bass character-stomp one. Not the Deluxe one. Does it sound and tweaks exactly the same??

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope. The Micro VR has a better sounding cab and a 150w head with separate master and gain, whereas the Micro CL's head is 100w and has a single volume.

Lava, yes they do work the same except the VT Deluxe saves up to 6 presets, and the regular VT has a speaker sim defeat switch. I used to have one of the early VT's with the speaker sim defeat, and they sound identical to me.
  17. lava4485

lava4485

Thanks man!! :)

Live-wise (in a country where a amp-mic is rarely given......) VT Bass Deluxe seems a more practical option. :) So... I guess I already made up my mind!

VR seems to have a grawly-er tone than CL (maybe It was the parameters) So, I don't feel its my style! :)