1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg speaker terminals (which is positive?)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fish bulb, Jul 24, 2009.

1. fish bulb

fish bulb

I'm rewiring my Ampeg 810 cabinet that has 4 speakers with unmarked terminals and 4 marked. There is a green dot near one of the terminals, does this indicate positive?

Since they are unmatched speakers I'm trying to avoid any phase problems. To do so would i just make sure that i get the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative? (they're all in parallel)

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know about your cab, but green is pos in mine and black (or dark blue, I think is what's used in mine) is neg. And as you face the cones, the tabs in my CTS's go like this:

_ | | _

+ + - -

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If in doubt do the battery test. If you apply a 9V battery to each speakers terminal the cones will move. When they move out, away from the magnet structure, the positive battery terminal is connected to the positive speaker terminal. Mark that terminal with a plus with a felt tip pen. Wire the speakers to suit the markings you made.

Paul

4. bassyeah

bassyeah

5. Register to disable this ad