1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg SVP-CL preamp is Out of Order

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eyoyo, Feb 12, 2014.

1. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Dear Ampeg owner and electronicians,

My amazing Preamp, an Ampeg SVP-CL, is not working anymore.
    When I switch it on I get some kind of quite high hum (white noise, snow, rain...) that comes and goes even when I don't plug a bass into it. When I play I only get a very saturated and weak sound. When I swith it off and leave the power stage on I get a bigger hum until it is completely off.
    It's weird! I've replaced teh 4 tubes and it doesn't solve anything.
    Any idea or advice ?
    Thanks

Lionel
  2. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps

Time to take it to a tech.
  3. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

I'm a tech, but I have no idea what to start with :p
  4. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

More school.
  5. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps

Well then you should know to check the power supply first! I'm not familiar with that amp but there should be a high voltage supply for the tubes, +/-15 if there are any opamps, and maybe others. Did you try running a sine wave into the input and tracing it through the circuit or seeing if it made it to any of the tube inputs?
  6. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

I didn't try anything yet.
    I wanted some advice first. I will probably start by the power supply.
    There is a 300V and 12V as far as I know.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You have to be methodical, look at one sub section or stage at a time.

In this case, I would start with a basic service. Clean the inside the chassis if necessary, clean the jacks, pots, tube sockets, tube pins, etc. Then look for issues starting with the power supply.

Remove the tubes. Then take voltage readings in the power supply and compare them to what is listed on the schematic. If the electrolytic caps are old, they may need to be replaced. This can be the source of the hum. A low voltage can also account fot the saturated sound. But there are a lot of possibilities.

If the power supply checks out, start with the first stage and examine each subsequent stage in tern.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

In case you don't have them, here are some schematics and additional documentation. Note the output upgrade that addresses issues on some models.
  9. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Oh thanks a lot for the schematics
  10. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Hey... that looks like my web site... :D
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

...and a very nice web site it is. :)
  12. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

It's fixed! Resoldered everything under both boards and it works fine :)
  13. Flatbass

Flatbass

Good to hear that it's working again! This gives me hope for my SVT-IIP.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but could any of you guys suggest something to repair a IIP on which the bright input keeps crapping out? It's mainly sudden persistent drops in volume.

The schematic shows that the bright input only adds a resistor and capacitor or two, it doesn't have it's own tube or signal path. Would that mean it a simple and easy fix?