Ampeg SVT 15 E jack/plug rattle

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by juniormarbles, Dec 18, 2012.

1. juniormarbles

juniormarbles

I have two of these cabinets, and they both have the same problem: The sound waves want to get out the rear, too, and they push hard against the only openings that are available: the 1/4" speaker jacks. At a decent volume, hold your finger against one of the two 1/4" jacks, and feel the blow!

Here is the problem in technical terms: the sound waves pressing against the rear wall of the cabinet rattle the speaker plug in the jack (rattle disappears the moment I press my hand against the plug).

First thing I did was replacing the stock square cheapo closed plastic jacks with genuine old style open Switchcraft jacks- their hot (tip) finger is a bit beefier, allowing for more pressure against the tip of the plug, but it still rattles the plug.

Tried different 1/4" phone plug brands, hoping for tighter tolerances between plug and jack, but the problem remains: the sound waves rattle the slightly thinner plug's sleeve against the slightly larger jack hole- and not indirectly, from the cabinet's vibration, but from the air pressure's direct agitation of the connection.

Short of switching to the speakon Neutriks, has anyone any ideas how I can stop the rattle without hiring a servant who holds the speaker plug while I play the gig?

Thanks,
    JM
  2. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Why not just switch to speakons? Would the rattle still be there?
  3. anderbass

anderbass

You could try plugging into your cab first, then loop the speaker cable through your cabs/amps handles so they will hold a slight sideways tension against the plug.
  4. Hactar

Hactar

You could try adding a small rubber washer around the barrel of your plug and see if it stops up the airflow.

Also, you may be able to open up the cab and cover the input jack in glue. However, this will probably only work if it's an enclosed 1/4" jack.

You may find that you'll be better off just switching to speakons.
  5. juniormarbles

juniormarbles

Thank you all for your helpful tips.

I went with the professional solution: installed Speakon plugs on my speaker cables. And it solved the issue, as Speakons have a lock-down mechanism that prevents plug movement once connected and locked.

Best,
    JM.