1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT-2 Pro feet screw thread size

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jonthebass, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jonthebass

jonthebass

Hi All,

I have picked up a used SVT-2 Pro that has no feet with it and want to fit some.
    Can anyone tell me the screw thread size please?

It has the rear feet just no bottom feet for clarification.

We are Metric in the UK & EU and trying to find Imperial threaded screws is a pain but I can order them in if I know the size!

Many thanks,
    Jon

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    I don't have one on hand to check but the parts list shows it as a #8-32 thread. Length will vary with the feet you choose.

3. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

You really need to mention whether you have a USA amp or a Korean amp.

8-32 x 1/2 is the specification, but it isn't necessarily the right answer.

I just went through this when restoring a pair of SVT-2 Pro, one USA-made and one Korea-made. The USA amp had feet, the Korean amp didn't. I bought a set of OEM bumpers from Mackie and bought the machine screws locally. The foot screw spec is 8-32 x 1/2 for both amps, but when I bought the 8-32 x 1/2 machine screws at the local TrueValue, they fit one amp and not the other. More specifically, the OEM feet/screws from the USA model would fit both amps, but the 8-32 screws I bought would fit the USA amp but not the Korean amp. I have a sneaking suspicion that the USA amp uses 8-32 screws and the Korean amp uses something close that's metric and ever so slightly smaller, like maybe M6? Either that or the 8-32 screws that I bought were ever so slightly out of spec on the large size, but I doubt that, because the Korean/American amps also have fitment issues with the screws that hold the top/bottom panels in place. You can swap them one way but not the other or you'll end up chasing new threads.

So I guess the real answer is that 8-32 is a starting point, but don't be surprised if 8-32 doesn't fit a Korean amp. It could be metric.

4. jonthebass

jonthebass

Guys, thank you very much for the info.

WretchedExcess - It's a SLM USA made bad boy!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Nice amp.

For my SLM amp I used the 8-32 spec and I had no problems with thread size. I also bought the OEM feet from Mackie (ampeg parts) and used 8-32 x 1/2 machine screws to mount them. With the OEM feet the 1/2" screws were a little on the long side, as they protruded a lot when mounted. You might want to take some measurements on your feet so you can fine tune the length when you order your parts, or you can just trim down your screws if they turn out to be a little too long. I don't like having long screws protruding into the chassis. I had to trim one down so it wouldn't contact the solder side of a PCB. The other 3 were OK. Watch out for this.

Actually, I bought hex-head Allen-type bolts instead of Phillips head screws so that I could seat the feet with an Allen wrench, rather than a screwdriver. Just my personal preference. I also used Allen-head machine screws for the handle replacements -- philips screws are a bad idea, IMO. If you ever have to do a handle change you'll know what I mean.

7. jonthebass

jonthebass

WE - Thanks for the tip about the screw coming into contact with the PCB, I'll watch out for that.

Also, I needed to tighten a couple of handle philips screws and know exactly what you mean about Allen head screws being a lot more accessable!