1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg SVT 2 Pro Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LWagner, Nov 25, 2012.

1. LWagner

LWagner

A few weeks ago I scored a 2003 Ampeg SVT 2 Pro used for super cheap. Im trying to get the punchy so cal punk sound but I just can't seem to find it. Im running an American P Bass directly to the head with a Ampeg 8x10 cab. Can anyone tell me how I should adjust the setting on my amp to get the sound I'm looking for. This is what I want.

Thanks
  2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

When I had a SVT II pro ... I set the bass to around noon, but the freq. selector to 2 bumped the mids to around 1 o'clock, treble around noon, maxed the master volume, and used the gain as the volume control, the drive knob was almost off, I used this with a P-bass with TI flats .... as to the 810 cabinet, what era is it, some were muddy sounding, but you can firm up the tone/sound by replacing some drivers
  3. LWagner

LWagner

Thanks for the replay I'm gonna try that. My 8x10 is a 2002 , American made
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
  5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Oh one other thing ..... kinda ignore the red input lite ... it just shows that your getting a signal, it's NOT a lite showing that your preamp is clipping
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

That's a "darker" era cab, still great tho imo.
    Just may need to bump the hi mids or treble a touch more.
  7. LWagner

LWagner

Thanks everyone for the tips. I really appreciate the help!!
  8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

What strings do you have on the bass? Stainless steel strings, tone pot full up, a pick, and a possible boost around 900hz to 4khz. Maybe a slight drop around 220hz. That should get you close. Dead roundwound strings or flatwounds are NOT going to get what you want tone wise.
  9. LWagner

LWagner

Im using DR Highbeams (love em!!!) and Clayton 1mm picks
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

That's a good start..... keep messing with it and report back.