1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg SVT-2 Pro Vs. Ampeg SVT VR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jastacey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I'm torn between these two amps .. I like the classic tone of the VR ..but I also like the tone of the Pro-II. it's just a little different ...what everyone's take on this ...I'd like to buy both of them ....but I just can't afford both,
  2. 3toes

3toes

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    What a coincidence, I'm in the same predicament. I think I'm going the 2-Pro route simply because it has more tonal versatility. I like the idea of having control over my gain, drive, and a graphic EQ. Plus the rack-mount is convenient for me.
  3. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I like the rackmount system ...your stuff doesn't get damaged easly ...seems that the GC store here, has no new or old Ampeg stock
  4. SixString

SixString

I went from an SVT 3 pro to an SVT VR, once you spend some time with the VR you'll realize why you don't need all the other controls :p. As far as gain knob though i'd suggest getting a hott plate
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get both!
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1
    ........................but you won't need a hot plate. besides, i don't think i'd recommend using any type of resistive load other than a speaker cab on an SVT.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

So how is the QC with the VR heads now? I've heard a few stories about them...are they doing better now?

The only recurring issue that I can find any info on is the voltage thing with the relay. Are there any others?
  8. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

I would recomend trying to get a used made in USA VR... Mine is bullet proof.
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    my VR was made in Vietnam and it's been absolutely perfect too.
  10. rbonner

rbonner

I have to admit, this isn't a direct comparison between the two amps, but I have a Modding Preamp on my baby rig. Out of the ten amplifiers or so on that pre, there's two positions I click between on a regular basis depending on my mood.

Guess which two?

The SVT is deeper generally, the PRO II seems to be punchier into a 410 or a pair of 810's... I use PA amps with the pre.

I seem to prefer the 2 PRO position myself. It's more my style. They aren't a long ways away from each other though, but I like the II better.

Jimmy you also have a modding pre, whats your opinion? But of course you probably also have played the two next to each other.

I'm 100% rack mounted here, even with my kid's amps we are going rack mounted for guitar... Before buying a VR, I personally would buy a II Non-PRO to get the rack mounting feature of the same amp, or the II PRO for more of the CL sound.

And here we go with the NAM vs USA thing. They are ALL GOOD NOW. BUt that relay mod probably needs made on everything as a design goof.

BOB
  11. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

There you are, a VR is the answer then!!!
  12. Clank

Clank

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Mine too.
    Also, I've owned and toured (a lot) with the SVT II pro. That thing was a great amp. It just had too many bells and whistles I didn't use.
    I'd go with the VR.
  13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

This.
  14. Sartori

Sartori

Yeah, sometimes there's so much stuff that it stops being convenient and starts being confusing. Obviously I want some EQ controls, but my tastes are pretty simple.

Similarly, I don't think I'd mind playing a bass that didn't even have tone knobs. Or maybe even one with no tone knobs and no volume knobs, and just an on/off switch and a pickup selector switch.
  15. Martizmo

Martizmo

If you like mid boost and variety then go with the pro. But then again, simple is good and the VR is just that when compared to the pro.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a VT. I really don't know how to answer this one since I haven't had a chance to AB my SVT against a 2 Pro or CL. All I can tell you is the VR/vintage sounds like it opens up more dramatically and organically than the CL/2 Pro. But I love them both. One of these days I need to pick up a CL or 2 Pro. It's a different flavor of brilliant to me, that's all.
  17. 3toes

3toes

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Ahh, see... I'm a tweaker by nature :)

For the longest time I had my heart set on the VR. I mean, you can't argue how f'ing cool it looks to have an Ampeg full stack with an SVT/VR sitting on top.

But now that a lot more gigs are popping up on my schedule, I think I need to go with the Pro simply because of the rack convenience, especially since I don't have any roadies :p
  18. Sartori

Sartori

That's cool. If I got a rack, I'd feel silly, as I wouldn't have anything to put on it besides a head. Not that I don't use other gear... it's just that what little other stuff I have is stuff that generally goes on the floor and is operated with feet.

While my current head does have a ten band EQ (or however many bands the SVT-350H has, never counted), I basically just set it to levels I liked and have kept it like that since.
  19. rodl2005

rodl2005

Totally UP to YOU- the BUYER!!!! IMO- they're @ Different animals entirely. If U DO want the versatility of gain/overdrive/graphic EQ etc AND-most importantly- like the sound- the 2PRO is 4 U. BUT if U like the simplicity/the GREAT vintage looks & GREAT vintage sound/ don't need gain-master vol.set up I'd DEFINATELY go the VR route. I've got a SVTII(sort of a mix of the 2... the non-master vol/gain set up, VERY simple -Vol. bass, mid select-mid level, treb. -but with a graphic EQ if U want it-on fron panel) which -to MY ears at least- is VERY similar to the VR. & for me, I simply got a Tech 21 VT-BASS pedal to use for a bit of OD if needed- a Tech 21 Sans amp bass driver is similar also.
    As stated above- I'd TRY & find a SVTII(non-pro) 2nd hand, IF U R after the rack mount set up. 2nd - I'd go 4 a SVT-VR... 3rd I'd go the SVTIIPRO.
    If poss. try & get a 'returnable situation' where U can actually try the amp out at a rehearsal/gig & then IF U don't LOVE it- return it for a different model. Because they are VERY different beasts at volume & in 'gig/rehearsal rooms' compared to in a music store.
  20. thepest

thepest

Just my 2 cents. I love my SVT 2PRO. Love...love, love, love.... love, love. Did I mention, I love my SVT 2PRO.