1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tweea, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Tweea

Tweea There is no spoon

I currently have a GK 700 RB II, but I have been thinking about getting an Ampeg. I love the sound!

After doing some research, I was thinking about trying out the Ampeg SVT 2 Pro. However, everywhere I look it appears that it is no longer available.

I haven't been able to find any information about whether this model has been discontinued or not. Does anybody here know the current status of this amp model?

Thanks for your help TB!

2. jonthebass

jonthebass

Great amps and you can't go wrong.
    What about a good condition used one instead of a new buy?

3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Sweetwater has new ones.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Buy a used II non pro. You won't be sorry.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

This man speaks great truths. Heed his words.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I have one and the OP's 700RB-II.

They're both great amps, but the GK is much lighter.:D

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It has been discontinued as of late last year.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I also have a 700RB. Haven't even turned it on in a couple years. Can't stand that amp. lol Sure ain't a fair comparison with an Ampeg tube amp.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The 2Pro is a great amp but friggin' heavy as hell and awkward to lug around.

Better options out there (Ampeg and others) that are more portable and cheaper.

The 2 non-pro or SVT-CL/VR are better options if you are stuck on Ampeg lead sleds IME/IMO.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Meh. I like both, but Ampeg SVT-II has been largely relegated to recording status. I'm very happy with the GK for pretty much everything else. It's lighter, it's much more easily replaced, and while the tones may not be interchangeable, it sounds really good to my ears.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Plenty of guys like them. I don't care much for ANY GK head, but it's obviously subjective. I also don't care at all about weight. In the big scheme of things, with all the gear I use at a gig, shaving a few pounds off a bass amp at the cost of tone is extremely pointless.

13. Tweea

Tweea There is no spoon

Thanks for all the great input guys. I saw Jimmy M's response that the SVT 2 Pro was discontinued. That is what I feared.

I am definitely looking to get an Ampeg, so I will start looking for a used SVT 2 (non-pro) or maybe a CL.

Too bad about the SVT 2 Pro - it looked pretty versatile.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

The non pro is much preferred. A nice used CL typically sells for between $800-$1100. I got my 2006 CL here for $900 and it is awesome.

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You can still find them all over the place.

16. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If you don't need a 300 watt amp Ampeg just reissued the V4-B!

17. Sartori

Sartori

2pros can still be found used. They're pretty common.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

The II Pro will do every thing the non pro and classic will do, and then some.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig +1

I play an SVT-II non-pro through a Berg NV610, and it is da bomb tone-wise and sheer oomph power. Whenever I play through that rig, I can't help imitating Austin Powers by saying "yeah, baby...YEAH!" :D

IMO, the SVT-II non-pro sounds waaaay better than the CL I used to own. My non-pro sounds every bit as good as the US SVT-VR I used to own. And based on many user reviews, the non-pro sounds much closer to the vintage early 70's SVTs than the Pro version does. I never owned an SVT2 Pro, but I have played through one, and I have to agree with those user reviews that the non-pro sounds better.

20. scarylarry13864

scarylarry13864

Picked up SVT 2 outside Albany, NY last week. Love it very much along with my V4b. Had a GK 700 rb 5 years ago and I really didn't too much myself either. Depends whatcha plan on doing with it. Live, it is an animal, but plenty of stuff you have to deal with if ya have to have a tech situate if problems arrive. Luckely, dirty pots and adding a switch to mute and to switch the eq worked well for me.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's the thing about the difference between the single volume and the master/gain...if you turn the master up all the way and use gain to control volume on a CL or 2 Pro (or any master/gain tube amp for that matter), it'll sound just like the single volume amp, whereas if turn up gain and use master to control volume, you will also add compression and preamp distortion. And that's why a lot of folks prefer the single knob SVT's...because they didn't know this trick. I didn't until a couple years ago...never owned a master/gain tube amp in my life, so I was not hip to it. Now that I am, I'd much rather have the master/gain amp.