1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg SVT 212AV vs Ampeg SVT410HLF - Can they even be compared??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Dec 26, 2013.

1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

I know the 212AV has not had many reviews but I am curious just based off specs if it will compare to the 410HLF. Maybe this is a silly question but I am having a tough time deciding between the two.

I understand the 212 and 410 are different in many ways (cab size, speakers, weight, everything else). But that being said, will the 212 handle lows better with 12" speakers at 600 watts, will it articulate mids as well, and the punch factor, could it be used as a stand alone to the extent of the 410?

Ok, I guess this would all be speculation due to the lack of reviews on the 212. Any thoughts?
  2. nitsuj

nitsuj

I owned a hlf410 for several months. I played a SVTCL through it. Big low end and heavy. Overall, nice tone.

I recently played at 212AV through a V4B. I noticed the low E being a little lacking; but tight sounding. I bet it would do well in a small nightclub gig.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 212av is going to be more rolled off on the lows, similar to an 810e or 410he, whereas a 410hlf is a low end cannon.
  4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yeah the 410 HLF can also be too boomy. I find the mids of an 810 suit my needs better. If the 212 AV does that tone in a smaller package it might be a nice option to pick up.
  5. wighat

wighat

Me thinks Jimmy is right, the 210 is like the more middy 410he and 810he. I like the 410HLf because of all the lows. If it's too much, I roll-off the bass on my eq. I personally would not be happy with a standard 210, but too be fair, I have not demo'd the 210AV. What amp will you be using?
  6. CoffeeLove

Makes since guys. Jimmy, thanks for responding to the few times I have posted. Yes Nitsuj, not sure if the 212 will be able to handle the B or any push at the low end. I have heard great reviews of the 410 but a little concerned about the "boomy" factor. I tend to increase my low-mids via EQ to get a little growl (yes there is that word again - growl). Can the boomyness be tamed on the 410 considering I am a low-mids kinda guy.

Currently have a Stingray SR4, a Precision American Standard, and plan on adding a 5 string soon. Depending on situation I use my Ampeg SVT II (non pro) or My Genz Benz GBE600, if any of this makes a difference in cab choice. I know closed cabs are supposed to be best for tube amps, but have also heard that is not always the case.

Wish I could play them side-by-side but that is not really possible.
  7. CoffeeLove

Sorry Wighat but we are talking about a 212, but you may be right on that account also.
  8. middy

middy

If you like growl and punch, go for a sealed cab. I find ported cabs hard to tame in some rooms, without losing all the thump. They just seem loose and undefined to me. Maybe I just don't know how to tweak right, but sealed cabs are always way easier for me to dial in in every room.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Somewhat they can. Easier on the newer ones than the older ones, though. As for the low B, don't let frequency response of these cabs make you think they won't do a low B. A low B sounds fine on my 210av's and 810e.
  10. wighat

wighat

Oops. But, yeah, in this case, for comp purposes, still holds. If you're a "low-mids guy", you may not love the 410HLF.
  11. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

I'm a low mid guy and found the HLF to be too boomy. Too scooped sounding to my ear.
  12. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

I can't compare the 212 to either of the 410's but I do own both the 212AV and an 810e and those two sound pretty similar with the new V4B. One thing I noticed right away with the 212 is that I don't have to roll up the HPF-Pre like I do with boomier cabs like my Markbass 804 or the ancient POS GK 810 in the rehearsal space I've been using lately.
  13. CoffeeLove

Well, guess I cannot have it all. Any other thoughts on a cab that crushes low-lows, boosts that low-mid growl, can function as a stand alone in medium size rooms, and can be found in a single fairly small cab? Yes, I was hoping for all of this in the HLF. Hmmmmmm
  14. CoffeeLove

JeffBonny. What about the 212 as a stand alone and low-mids?
  15. wighat

wighat

The 410HLF is scooped, but you can EQ-in whatever mid's you want. OTOH, a cab that is not designed to do the low-lows just isn't gonna go there. Also, if you've got the right amp with it, the 410HLF can stand alone. Not sure what the def of a med-size venue is, but my SVT-CL/410HLF rig has easily cut it with a loud rock/hard blues band in a 3000 sq ft club with 200 ppl in it.
  16. nitsuj

nitsuj

"thoughts on a cab that crushes low-lows, boosts that low-mid growl, can function as a stand alone in medium size rooms, and can be found in a single fairly small cab?"

GK NEO 212
  17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

+1 on wighat.
    Please note that there are two distinct versions of the SVT-410HLF; the older, US made that have OSB panels and darker speakers. Then there are the newer, Asian ones with (lighter) plywood cabinets and more neutral speakers with more mids.
    I like both models but the newer ones are easier on the back and can do a wider range of sound styles.
  18. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

I suck at describing sound and I haven't really gotten to use this cab in enough different rooms to want to try to give any kind of definitive description of it. I will say my tastes run towards P Basses and old school sounding amps with some harmonic distortion going on. I like that matched with non-boomy cabs with clearly defined low mids. So far the SVT212 cab sounds really good to me with the new V4-B and an Aguilar TH350. Like I said I use a high pass filter and with this cab I don't really need much of it. Make of that what you will.
  19. Bugliens

Bugliens

I'm dying for more info on this question, as well as some videos of the 212 in action. I recently bought the Orange Terror Bass 500, and I'm loving its portability. That of the Ampeg 810: not so much. So I'm in the market for a smaller cab that can handle the 500 watts and I'm learning that they are in short supply.

This cab looks beautiful, but dear God, how does it sound?!!
  20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Here is Dino's video of the 212AV: