Ampeg SVT 3 Pro or Gallien Krueger RB 1001 II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Djeetn, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Djeetn

Djeetn

Hello everybody,
    I'm still on the hunt for a great 2 rack space head and I'm now down to two choises, the Ampeg SVT 3 Pro or the Gallien Krueger RB 1001 II. Here in Belgium, the Ampeg comes around 1300 euro while the GK comes for 750 euro. I know Ampeg has a huge name and respected status but GK is getting really close to top this particular head with the RB 1001 II. Did some testing at a local Music Store and I love the tone of the Ampeg but the GK has a lot more headroom and volume + the weight is almost 50% less than the Ampeg. Do you guys have any more recommendations concerning both heads? Thank all in advance!!
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The 1001RB II is a rock solid head with in my opinion more tone options. Add a VT bass pedal and you can get really close to the classic SVT sound. The 3 Pro is a nice head but more limited IMO with the chance for more maintenance needed. One thing with the 3 Pro if you go with it is the peak light should be ignored, turn up the gain to just below the distortion point (the peak light is more like a signal present) and the tone and volume increases greatly.
    In the end it is your ears you need to satisfy and no one else.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Between those 2 choices, and at those prices, the 1001RB seems the MUCH better deal.
  4. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1, Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned, the GK 1001RB is way more reliable than the Ampeg, whose Quality has gone downhill since moving production to Vietnam...The Ampeg guys are going to flame away, but even they can't argue with the fact that the price is almost half as much. With that much savings, you can get a cab and be set......:bag:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I agree 100% with B-string.
    I had the 3-pro and I've used plenty of GK's; I'd go with the GK in a heartbeat.
  7. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

Meh to both..... save even more cash, and get some warmer tones....... pick up the GK 700rbII.
  8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Agreed.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

My old man uses a 700RB rig. I have spent a lot of time with it. I do not like it. If the 1001RB sounds like the 700RB, I would pass.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've owned both. The 1001RB is a better deal. Great amp and very reliable. I wasn't happy with the 3 Pro or the 4 Pro. I used a 1001RB for many years but now use a U.S. built SVT 6 Pro.
  11. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Shhhheeezzz..Again no luv for the 3 pro? What's the matter wit yall. I used a 3 pro for over 10 years, great amp and beautiful tube tone. Yes is did need maintenance a few times. A tube bias, transformer needed to be replaced, spilled a beer on it once, dropped it,etc.,etc....and so on, but I luv the tone. It is definitely my favorite hybrid amp, but I did not baby it. The 1001...hmmm, kind of sterile and modern sounding to me. Just buy a silly little Mark bass and be done with it.
  12. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Never played a 3 Pro but I really liked my 1001RBII. For the difference in price I would go with the RB.