1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ampeg svt-3 warm up crackle

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rick kimura, Oct 25, 2013.

1. rick kimura

rick kimura

:confused:Hi , i bought my svt-3 new about 6 years ago , its never let me down and always delivered the goods . Its been used as a practice amp almost on a daily basis at home as well as live playing . Its one of the last models made in the US before production in vietnam . Ive noticed , switching it on after 10 - 15 minutes it RELEASES a 5 seconds of continual crackle sounding like some form of interference . There are no problems with the amp before or after this occurs , its just there !!!! Ive cleaned the pots , changed the preamp valves (all of them) swapped spkrs , and it does it at different rooms and gigs . It sat in its roadcase in my bedroom for about 3 months as i was using another head , so could not being used for that period had something to do with it ??? Im interested to hear from anyone who can help here .
    :meh: thanks rick

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

A long pulse like that sounds like a capacitor discharging, and just sitting isn't good for electrolytic caps - though only a few months isn't normally a big deal. Is there any sign of physical damage of any of the big capacitors in the head? Be careful not to touch them without first fully discharging them!

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    10-15 minutes says it has something to do with something heating up to operating temperature. Possible bad solder joint somewhere? Did you clean the tube socket pinholes too?

There are bias setting instructions for those on this site somewhere.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Nice amp the 3Pro is.

4. rick kimura

rick kimura

2 great tips ; discharging capacitor , and cleaning tube sockets . Sooner or later im gonna have to get this seen to by an amp doctor . If it were a cracked solder i am inclined to think it would show up when it was transitioning from cold to hot . Ive had this with another amp years ago .
    Yes they are a great amp , thanks guys !!!

5. Register to disable this ad