Ampeg SVT-350H & 610 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by casper_morgan, Dec 6, 2013.

1. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

I have acquired a SVT-350H from a co-worker for 120$, thought it was a good deal so I couldn't resist... seeing as the only thing ive been using is my ampeg BA115 combo for gigs for the last year.

I currently have a ampeg 610 cab on layaway and I am just wondering from you guys how well you think the SVT-350H + Ampeg 610 cab will do as compared to the AmpegBA115 combo I have been using...

I don't really have anymore for a budget so upgrading past that isn't really an option right now... I just need kind of a comparison from any of you guys on this so I know what to expect. Thanks :) :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably fairly similar but louder. The 610hlf is tuned kind of similar to the BA115 to my ears. Might go a little lower than the BA115 but there is definitely a family resemblance.

3. ledyard

ledyard

If you play with a band with any kind of volume you may find the 350h wont give you enough power. I used one about 12 years ago through an ampeg 810 and the Ampeg tone was there but it just wouldn't cut it volume wise. But for $120 you cant beat it though. Hell, I would buy another one just to have for a practice amp at that price.

4. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TUEP

TUEP

I have an Ampeg SVT-350H and I have ran it through an old Fender 4x10, two 1x15 GK Backlines ( i know not the best thing)...and I will tell you this. I never had a problem cutting through the mix against loud drummers and guitar half stacks. I know the SVT-350H takes a bad rap for "lacking in volume", and I think some of it come's from folks not understanding how to EQ it correctly.

Its not as "boomy" as other amps in its class...but its mid-range is where its strong point is and the note clarity at higher volumes I think carries further in a broader area than other amps in its class. So instead of that immediate "boomy" sound up front and personal...it tends to cut the notes in the mix and folks in the audience can hear it.

Now I will say this...I hooked a Behringer BDI-21 pre-amp to it using the SVT effect and for 30 bucks got a bit more boom and bass out of it. I like playing it with the limiter off, gain at noon so it clips some, volume a little past noon, graphic EQ off. Regular EQ set @ bass about 2 o'clock, ultra-mid @ noon and treble @ 3' o'clock. Sometimes I like to bring the ultra-mids down if I am going for a scooped sound. Hope this helps.

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

I also ran the 350H through an SVT810 and found it lacking. However, I was able to at a number of gigs borrow a 610 cab, and found the power match much better and that the 350H cut through in the mix really nicely with plenty of low end booty thanks to the voicing of the 610 cab.
    Definitely a good upgrade to your current combo. Also, in the future the 610 cab will pair nicely with just about any other higher end head you pair it up with.

8. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    The 610 is a great cab. I always thought it was weird that it retails for $50 more than the 8x10 new. Should be able to handle any amp.

I had the 350 and like most, I found it was lacking in the volume and headroom department (it is only 350 watts, so that's kind of a given), but I did find that once I spent some time EQ'ing it, I had a sound that was alright. I would try and take the 350 and 115 and trade up for a better head when you have a chance. Maybe the Orange TB500 could be a good one.

9. inri222

inri222

I have used the SVT-350H a couple of times in backlines with a SansAmp BDDI into an 810e and did not have any problems. If cabinet size and weight are not an issue, for the same price I would get an 810e instead of the 610HLF. I find the 810e to sound better tone wise and volume wise. Thats just my opinion of course. You should be the ultimate judge.

10. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

Thanks for the information guys, very much appreciated!!!