Ampeg SVT-350H seems to always be fairly inexpensive, whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Arnie, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Arnie

Arnie

I see these fairly cheap usually. What are its short comings?

2. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Its a rather bland sounding sterile solid state amp. Its not the type of sound people who like Ampegs go for. I'd personally avoid it.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The B2 B2R and SVT-350 are the same amp so whatever you hear about one applies to the others. It is an all transistor amp, some prefer a tube in there somewhere. There are newer products on the market so sometimes older ones loose their appeal and consequently, their value.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

First is the missunderstood gain structure. They get labeled "underpowered" because they don't approach full output at 11:00 to 12:00 on the master, more like 3:00. This provides better control over the power output but people are used to being really loud at much lower settings. It's just perception by eye, not ear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Yup. Except that the SVT-350H has the sweet 25lb wooden box around it that serves no real purpose other than to "look" like a real SVT. :rollno:

7. redmoe

redmoe

I agree with the bland statement. I bought one cheap and sold it for less. I found that even my carvin redline sounded better. Just got a portaflex and that has the sound I was looking for in the 350h.