Ampeg SVT 3PRO Owners

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Feb 12, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Supporting Member

Hey guys, do we have any owners of 3pro, I didn't see a thread on this and just wanted some general feedback and input on this solid SS / TUBE amp.....

I just purchased this amp and I am really digging it, although some just don't love it as much as me:bassist:.....
  2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I'm working in to replace a bass player in a band near me. We were playing last weekend through my SVT 8 10 and his pro 3. Sounded pretty darn good to me and was plenty loud enough to overpower 2 marshall 1/2 stacks if we wanted to. I prefer my SVT classic head over the pro 3 but would have no problem using this for a gig anywhere.:bassist:
  3. sandwich5027

I was reading old threads because when I first got the pro 3, I was like other players who wondered where the hell the power was.....Then I found out about the 2 or 3oclock for gain and then turn up master volume....I still think the best setting for tube pre is at 12noon.....One thing though, when I turn the tube knob, I hear a little buzz for a sec and then it goes away....is that normal cause of volts being added/removed to tubes? Am I the only person who hears this?
  4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I got mine in December. I'm running it through a SVT 212AV and it is giving me the Ampeg sound that I was looking for.

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark_70

Mark_70

I have had one for many years - always served me well. I hear the buzz too; always did it..
    Other than the fact it is a bit of a beast to haul around i am still hapy with it.
    Am looking at adding something lighter for practice or small gigs, just for ease of transportation..

Regards
    Mark
  7. sandwich5027

Do you guys ever do the manual's suggestion of master up all the way and gain to control overall volume? That seems to be the opposite of what people say to do here on TB....Maybe Ampeg doesn't want the red light for too much boost or signal on....IDK....I don't want to damage anything by having red light on whole time while playing.
  8. sandwich5027

Looks like you have the 212 cab....

I almost pulled the trigger but ended up getting Eden 212xst cab instead
  9. catgut

catgut

I loved my circa 1992 SVT-3 Pro. It is at the moment blown up though and I have not bothered to fix it. It is a little on the thin side on the power for my needs but the tone is some of the best I have heard for a hybrid when you slam the plate voltage to all tube preamp. I played a Hartke 410 XL mostly unless there was an 8x10 just sitting all alone on stage. Then I would rock that if the owner was game. My excuse was to simplify the backline:bassist:
    I think it has a richer tone than any of Ampegs other hybrids. As those SVT numbers go up I find the SVT'ness to decrease.
  10. catgut

catgut

What? Try all tube. SVT-3 is not heavy at all. I got it initially because my '72 SVT was actually heavy.
  11. FuserAlma

FuserAlma

I'm an SVT3 Pro owner, albeit I've only owned it about a year and I've more recently become much more involved in picking and choosing gear. I'm still learning so go easy on me, but I have a tendency to make the head peak without getting the power I want out of it. Any suggestions?
  12. catgut

catgut

Are you running it at 4Ω for full power? I was lucky in that at the exact point of fart out volume I could practice and play with hard hitting drummer and a cranked Fender Twin and tube screamer. So it worked. I have had that sad face at not being able to get any more out of it without sounding terrible. But that was usually at 8Ω and about 250W. Running it at 4Ω should let you keep up with most applications. Especially with PA support.
  13. FuserAlma

FuserAlma

I need to double check on that actually, I haven't had it set up in a bit because I was on tour and we cab shared with the other band. I appreciate the insight!
  14. Mark_70

Mark_70

yeah - catgut.. I guess it's all relative.. Just got a Aguilar tone hammer 350. Not that's LIGHT..
    Regards
    mark