Ampeg SVT-3pro vs SVT 2pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ReggaeBass, Nov 11, 2012.

1. ReggaeBass

ReggaeBass

Hi guys,

I am going to be in the market for a new amp shortly and I have been doing a fair bit of research on Ampeg heads, in particular the SVT-3pro. However, last weekend my band played 3 gigs and the amp that was supplied was an SVT 2pro combined with an SVT 810e cab.....I was extremly impressed with the sound of the SVT 2pro as it cut through the mix so well and the low end sound was amazing (im in a reggae band so low end is pretty important). I have never played through an SVT-3pro and I understand that it is a solid state amp with a tube pre amp and I am wondering if this would be able to cut through the mix or provide some sort of reliable sound onstage? We do play some pretty big gigs at big venues and I have had problems in the past with hearing myself onstage (our drummer plays ridiculously loud). My current amp is a MarkBass F1 head with a MarkBass standard 104 cab which just isnt cutting it anymore. I guess I just want to know if the svt-3pro will be able to satisfy my needs or would it just be better to pay the extra for the all tube SVT 2pro (even though it destroys all the muscles in my arms when lifting). Thanks in advance.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

IIRC, your F1 has more power than the 3pro. That doesn't exactly mean it's going to be louder, but I'd be willing to be that all things being equal (like using the same cab) that it would be.

The 2pro is a full blown all tube SVT. There is no substitute :)

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

The 3pro is he most underpowered amp I've ever used. Sounds good but very quiet. If yo need any sort of louder volume I'd go with the 2.

4. ReggaeBass

ReggaeBass

Thanks for the ultra quick responses.......looks like im selling my lightweight F1 for a back - breakingly heavy SVT 2 :) it's all about the sound at the end of the day

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

all about the sound... get the svt-vr
    :)

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

not to jump in for the brand, but this is actually not at all true.....

If it was quiet for you, then you simply need to learn how to use it.....

1) push the input.... the light isn't for clipping, it is showing you that you have enough signal..... it should be on often. This is the same for most Ampeg.

2) turn UP the "tube gain", so called..... too many people think it should be DOWN normally, but to remove the effect, turn it UP.

3) do not fear turning up the amp..... knob position means nothing..... I know people who think the world will end if they turn up more than "2:00" on any knob..... 'tain't so.

Alone among Ampeg SS amps, the 3PRO has no clip limiter, so there is nothing cutting down your volume, you can hit it as hard as you want. Go for it, just as if it was a tube amp.

8. detracti

detracti

The 2Pro will smoke the 3Pro all day long. All night too. If I still had my 3Pro, I'd keep it at home for practice. If I did have to take it to a gig, I'd take my SansAmp instead, because I'd be living on PA support either way.

9. WokenDeer

WokenDeer

I've been drooling over the 2pros. Very happy with my 4pro but the 2 has all that Tubey goodness...

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

of course it will..... it will smoke a lot of other amps too......

11. Tuned

Tuned

You can get an 8Pro for under a grand, SVP-CL + IPR 1600 ;)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Where can you get an 8 Pro for under a grand? It's a $2000 amp.