1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg svt 4 low output yellow light blinking while playing.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassquatch, Mar 25, 2014.

1. bassquatch

bassquatch

HI I just bought a SVT 4 used at a show about a week ago, When I first got it home I couldn't get no sound out of it I brought it back to the shop and they where able to get it to work so I took it back home and it works but it is not very loud, I am using the ampeg 8x10 cab so it should have plenty of power. I have it turned almost all the way up just to be heard at band practice. I tried buying speakon cables and I couldn't get any hardly any volume when I had it plugged in with them so I went back to the normal cable for the show I was playing. A friend of mine told me while I was playing he noticed the yellow light blinking the whole time I was playing and that he had the same problem with his amp and that he believes it has something to do with the power amp. He told me he runs his through the preamp and it works, but I didn't just spend all that money to have a heavy ass preamp, if anyone knows anything about it I would appreciate some advice I still have about a week on the return policy so hopefully I will be able to figure it out soon.

Thanks

2. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

The first thing that comes to mind is you don't have the right speaker cable wiring. To bridge that particular amp the speakon end that goes into the amp has to be wired 1+2+. Ampeg has videos on YouTube about the cable specifics. But yeah a normal speakon cable won't allow you to bridge the 4. So basically your pushing the 810 with half the amps potential.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a good suggestion, and also what is your preamp set on? I've found that in order to get those things rocking good, the preamp should be cranked pretty hard. It's not unusual for me to turn the gain up to 3:00 or more in a 4 Pro. I always ignore the lights and just use my ears, and I turn it up till I hear distortion, then I back off it slightly till it cleans up. With some basses the gain knob goes up very high.