1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro w/ 810. Did I blow my cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ArmoredInPeril, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ArmoredInPeril

ArmoredInPeril

I was using a friend's cab for a gig last weekend. When I was sound checking my rig, I came up on my Master volume a little too fast. I got some sharp feedback and immediately turned it back down. I came to practice the other day and it seemed as if I had lost a bit of power/volume. It also seemed to be a muddy, kind of farting out. Did I blow a speaker in this cab or does it sound like maybe another problem? I couldn't tell any issues during our set, but I was also lined in through the house PA with the Sansamp so I wasn't hear the amp honestly.

I run through a power conditioner with an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro and a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI (through my FX chain). I was using a 90s Ampeg SVT 810 that has done well on the other occasions Ive used it. I was running only Power Amp A (625 watts max) and the RMS on the cab is 800 watts. The impedance was right. Would turning up my Master too fast blow it?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Connect a 9 volt battery to the speaker cable and watch the cones.
    Do they all move?.:bassist:
    PS the speed at which you turn the master control has nothing to do with anything, it how far it ends up being turned that really matters.
    Thank the good lord that the PA running your DI got its correct signal level without your help.
    How come your amps master control wasn't pre set at the precise point taking into account your pre amps drive levels, at which the amp and cab sounds utterly great. Then all you have to do is EQ for the room.:bassist:

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Why are you using an RBI with a Pro 4 ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think I can answer that, unless you have both your available overdrive channels accidentally running at the same time you won't be able to blow up the cab when you turn the master up full, Obviously obtaining huge microphonic feedback between the pickups and your cab with the Extreme noise terror levels of distortion you have so wisely selected.
    Two distortion channels running together are far better than just one for blowing stuff up.:bassist: