Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nrg, Feb 9, 2009.

1. nrg

nrg

Brand new to the site and first post!!!
    What is the best way to set up the SVT 4 Pro for optimum power. I followed the diagram that was in the manual but just doesn't seem to have what it did when I tested it at store. I never thought of looking at the set up prior to taking it out of the store.
    What I have. The 4 Pro and the ampeg 410HLF and the 15 sub Both are the classic series.
    Like I said, I followed the diagram in the manual with the patch cords and the speaker cords. Just not the same as in the store.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Supporting Member

You have the EXACT same rig I had when I first bought my SVT-4 Pro. (I now use Bergantino cabs, but did have a 410HLF).

The following is presuming you are using one 410 cab as described . . .

For optimum power run the amp "bridged mono". Use the specially supplied speak-on cable plugged into the center (bridged) jack on the back of the amp; then be sure that BOTH your stereo select switches are depressed and in the "mono" position.

Note on specially supplied speak-on cable: DO NOT USE ANY OTHER USER SUPPLIED CABLE IN THE CENTER BRIDGED OUTPUT. USE ONLY THE AMPEG SUPPLIED SPEAK-ON CABLE, AND USE IT ONLY IN BRIDGED MODE!!!

note on BOTH: One stereo select switch is in the direct out sector of the back panel. The second stereo select switch is located directly beneath the first, in the speaker output sector of the back panel. Be sure both are depressed and in the "mono" position.

For maximum output wattage, you should not be using any patch cords with one cabinet.

If you use more than one cab, then you WILL cut into your output wattage as you split the speaker loads.

That should give you all the wattage that amp is capable of!
  3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Hello and welcome to TB!!!

Just from a quick read-through on the manual, it doesn't look like you have a lot of options. The SVT 410HLF is a 4-ohm cab, so you don't want to bridge it in mono and try to use both cabs since it does not go lower than 4 ohms when bridged. That means your choices are plain stereo or bi-amped in stereo. Running it in stereo would send 350 watts to the 1x15 and 625 watts to the 4x10, according to the manual. Seems like it should be plenty of juice. Are you sure all your cables are in good working order? Not sure what help I can offer aside from that, but I'm sure others that have more experience with this amp will chime in soon. Good luck!
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoever sold you a 410HLF and a 115E needs to get fired. A 115E is useless when you have a 410HLF. The HLF goes lower and is a lot louder than the 115E, plus the HLF is 4 ohms and the 115E is 8 ohms, which guarantees that you can't use both cabs in many amps. If you're still in the return period, take the 115E back. If not, take the 115E back and tell the manager that the salesman purposely sold you a mismatched rig with a useless second cab and took advantage of your lack of knowledge. This kind of stuff makes me mad.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Supporting Member

Just to clarify my earlier post: Everything I said there only applies to running the 410HLF as your stand alone cab.

I agree 110% with JimmyM! You will be much happier running the 410HLF alone and bridged, as I recommended, than with the mismatched 8 ohm 115.

That's how I ran mine, and I loved it!!!

good luck!
  7. nrg

nrg

Well I took back the 15 to guitar center and they gave me store credit for the exact amount that I purchased it for. I was pretty surprised about that. So now I'm just halfway back to the drawing board.
    Thanks to all who replied and gave me that awesome advice.
  8. jhan

jhan Guest

Not surprised at all, nrg. Whoever agreed to your return knew that someone tried to screw you.

If you want to stick to Ampeg, a 410HE woould round out your situation quite nicely.
  9. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

I'm not sure why jhan would have suggested the 410HE since it is another 8ohm cab... Stay away from that one or you'll end up back in the same situation with one 4ohm cab and one 8ohm.
  10. Dan S

Dan S

I have a related (I think) question about this. I got my SVT 4 from eBay and wasn't aware that there was a special cable needed to run mono bridged mode. The response I got from Ampeg was that the cable that comes with it and needs to be used is a speakon connector on the amp end and a 1/4" on the cab end. So far I haven't been able to locate a cable like this but have seen some that are speakon connectors on both ends. Did I get some incorrect info from Ampeg, or can I use one with Speakon on both ends (as I would prefer)?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm new here and this is my first post so I hope I'm in the right area! Sorry if I'm not!
  11. Femto

Femto

Welcome to Talkbass, Dan!

So long as the speakon connector on the end of the cable you connect to the amplifier is wired as it says in the manual (red to 1+, black to 2+), the end that you connect to your speaker cabinet should be wired normally (red to 1+ and black to 1-).
    Just make sure that you clearly mark the cable so there is no mistake which end plugs into what. Put a bit of yellow electrical tape round the cable by the plug that connects to the amplifier or something. :)
  12. Dan S

Dan S

Thanks Femto!
  13. Femto

Femto

Well, what is this life if we can't be of some service to our fellows. :)
  14. Z-Rod

Z-Rod

I'm relativly new to how all this works but have been doing alot of reading. I have the svt4 and the 410Hlf. It seems to me that the svt4 is actually 2 seperate amps in one enclosure (A and B). If so then running a 115 (or HE) cab on the B amp serves to add the qualities of that cab without altering what you run on A. Correct? :meh:
  15. WARFACE

WARFACE

Is there some kind of trick to getting the end of the speakon connector?
    I tried by hand I even tried with a pair of pliers, No luck. Just gouged up my connector!!
  16. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Okay, am I missing something? I run the same rig with a regular speakon cable going from Mono/Bridge output to the cab. What exactly are the differences in speakon connectors as it relates to powering the 4Pro/410HLF. Is their a right versus wrong way to connect these?
  17. rbonner

rbonner

OK first thing, do not... I repeat DO NOT run a 4PRO to a 410HLF in the bridged mode.

Just use it in dual mono and drive the 410 with one channel. The amp makes enough power to break an 810 if turned up all the way in bidged mode. It is too easy in bridged to get carried away and fart out the cab. The 4PRO can fart it out with just one channel.

I know I own these pieces...

Just make sure the ACTIVE ATTENUATOR is not pushed and that your bass's volume is up all the way... Then crank the gain up until the LED flashes go and hard on every note.

ADJUST master to taste...

Now like Jimmy says return the 8 ohm cab. Add another 410HLF if you must. I'll be glad to advise.

BOB
  18. rbonner

rbonner

Hey DAN S you need to figure out a 4PRO? Come on over... Bring the head PM sent BOB
  19. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Thanks so far for your feedback regarding hooking up the 4Pro with the 410HLF. So, if I understand you correctly I "Should not" run the bridged output directly to the cab and instead use either Power Amp A or Power Amp B section with the switch depressed? Is this correct? This is my church rig and I 've been running it bridged for quite some time, but if this can cause damage to the cab or amp I'll stop running it that way. I play for a pretty large megachurch situated in a pit with keys/drums/2 guitarists and can get away with a lot volume and I normally run the gain and master at 12oclock with the EQ volume maxed and eq controls slightly mid scooped but high. Bright and Ultra Low are normally on.
  20. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing Supplier OEM's
    You need to get a second 4X10HLF.

:hyper::hyper:

And always do what Mr Bonner says concerning 4 Pro's, he is the expert.
  21. rbonner

rbonner

Well I'd say Jerrold is the EXPERT in the things design and construction, etc; I'm pretty knowledgable in operation. I own 8 of the things and just committed for the 9th today.

A regular speakon cable has connections on the +1 and -1 pins both ends. You plug these in either channel A or B and the switch is OUT.

An AMPEG Mono Bridged cable will have the amp end's -1 wire moved over to the +2 terminal and the +1 stays put. When running Bridged the switch is IN. I put a few stripes of colored electrical tape around the amp end of a bridge cable so I can recognize it in a hurry.

When running the regular cable in the bridge jack this is not correct and I have never traced out the wiring to see what it is doing what.

Anyway, the amp just makes too much power. The reason I say don't do it is more for in a rock band setting where you tend to lean on the power and you could burn speaker stuff up.

The 4PRO will drive a pair of 410HLF's like wild in the stereo mode. So just use one channel.

BOB