Ampeg SVT-410HE vs SVT-410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim Powers, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

I'm thinking of building a new rig with these cabinets. I like the compact size of the SVT-410HE; but is there a tone difference between the two that is significant? I'll be going out for a playoff before I decide, but what do you guys recommend? I'll probably use an Ampeg SVT450 head and be playing mostly rock but want to be flexible.

2. chutsk10

chutsk10

The 4x10HE is sealed (giving a tighter top end) and the HLF is ported, the HLF can achieve slightly lower frequencies.

Personally I play a 4x10HE but I pair it with a 1x18 for the low end. If you are using it as a stand alone cab I hear the HLF preforms much better but I have no experience to back that up. The HE does sound good as a stand alone but I lost clarity on the low notes when I tried runnign my 5'er throguh it.

Definately try them both out if you can, that's the only real way to see what you prefer.

3. bass.player

bass.player

I owned a hlf and it is a great cab. As a stand-alone it gives an amazing amount of low-end, you won't miss a 15".
    But I found it too dark sounding to I traded it for 2 410HE's.
    As a stand-alone the 410HE is probably a bit thin.

4. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Thanks for your thoughts guys (fellow RIC Club Members); I'm really leaning toward trading all my gear in on a rig with several of the 410HEs based on what I've read in various reviews, but I will have to play them off against the HLF to decide. It sounds like multiple HE cabs may make up for the lack of lower end. I have a BA210 combo now and like the tone, though it is vented out the back and is probably not comparable to the 410 cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chutsk10

chutsk10

I think 4x10 HE's woudl sound great, I played mine stand alone again the othernight and it was better then i rememebr, as mentioned a little thin but a second would help. But then you have to think, maybe I'll just go for the 8x10 since I hear they sound better than 2 4x10's although they are a bitch to move around.

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Well, I can only add my $.02 here....I recently acquired a 4x10 HLF and I am absolutely satisified with the cab. I pair it up with a 2x10 and absolutely love the sound. I have played through the 4x10 HE in the past, and while it is a fine cab, the hlf blows it out of the water....again, just my $.02

8. nickbear

nickbear

i use the svt 410hlf cab and im very pleased with the sound it delivers. i use it with a svt 3pro head and a rickenbacker 4003 bass..

i use this setup in a heavy(ish) rock band and i think it sounds great.. i cut through really well and i dont find myself lacking high end frequencies at all.. i would love to have a 6x10 or 8x10 but i just cant transport it but this cab does the job well.

i have tried the svt HE as well and it was a great cab, gave more high end but lacked the low end and if you are using a rickenbacker bass that is going to sort the high end out!

the svt410hlf is a very versatile cab and i will be using it for many years to come.

now i just want a 410he to pair my 410hlf with!..........oh and a powerful head that will go down to 2 ohms...

9. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Nice collection of basses RandallFlagg - is that a Victor Bailey Jazz?

10. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

I've thought about mixing the HE and HLF cabs in a new rig but wonder if they could be hooked up in series to keep above 4 ohms. If there were two series setups like this in parallel it would give 6 ohms (and a wall of sound). Would there be problems hooking these 4 and 8 ohm cabs in series?

11. bluecoyote

bluecoyote

I have a mixture of Ampeg 410HE B Series Cabinet and Classic SVT115 cabinet and it sounds great. Running with my Eden Nemesis at 4ohms with 400 watts. Lots of volume and clarity from the 410 and lots of bottom from the 115.

[​IMG]

12. sockdeluxe_mike

sockdeluxe_mike

Personally, it seems the HLF was designed more as a standalone cabinet whilst the HE is probably more of a team player - the amount of pure bass I can coax out of my HLF is mad!! On the low end punch and sub scale, you could probably beat a few 6 and even 8x10's out on the market with ease and the right head.

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

I just traded the HE off today. A major differance is that is an 8ohm cab. The HLF is 4ohms. The HLF is meant to be a true standalone cab while the SVT HE is best paired with something else.

The HLF 6x10 and HLF 4x10 IMO are the best two cabs Ampeg makes that can still fit in the back of a SUV but I wouldn't buy them with the intention of running more than one unless you have dedicated seperate power sources. The 410 HLF will take every bit of 600 watts and if you don't push it enough to move air it will sound thin.

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

HAHA!!! No, actually it is my very own personal "frankenbass" made from a 91 Jazz Neck and a swamp ash body. It is loaded with Barts and a custom pickguard. I use it with Flats only and I have to admit, it literally kicks A*&!!!

[​IMG]

Man, that is one fine rig you have there Bluecoyote!!!

15. chutsk10

chutsk10

So given the fact that I have not had my cabs logn enoguh to know truly anything abotu them, while i was jamming i was fukcing wiht my crossover and as soon as i let too much bottom end into the HE it farted out on me and I couldn't play nearly as loud as i wanted to while runnign the HE full range. As mentioned before, the HLF is specifically designed more as a stand alone and has bottom end to spare but I'd only go with the HE if you pair it with somethng for the bottom end.

Pair the HE with a svt 18 and youre set :) hahaha sorry, new rig and i'm in love with it.

16. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Whats the one with your blue RIC?:eyebrow:

17. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Thanks for the good feedback guys, I'm getting a better sense of the difference in these two cabs; now I need to rethink what I want to do, and go out and play them!;)

18. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

Hey guys, not trying to kidnap the subject, just a little question... How would the 410HLF could sound paired with an d SVT 300 watt all tube head? I have my rig right now on a SVT-VR and an 8x10AV, but would like to have an option for smaller situations.

19. greeningep

greeningep

i think that setup would rip your face off. i am using the v4bh with my 410hlf now and i absolutely love it. i can only imagine adding those extra 200 watts would make it even better

20. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

21. afroman

afroman

i think a combination of both would be best. If you have to have one of them as a standalone, then HLF.