Ampeg svt 610hlf versatility?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CaptGinyu, Feb 10, 2013.

1. CaptGinyu

CaptGinyu

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first cab, a ampeg svt 610hlf and I need to know how versatile it is.

I want to be able to play things from the beatles (early and later tunes), some country, show tunes, and metal ( parkway drive, vildhjarta, the safety fire)

Thanks in advance for any info
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Versatility comes from you, bro.
  3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Well, the horn has an adjustable L pad. That's pretty much all you need. It's a little big for coffee house gigs tho.
  4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    From Ampeg's website:

"This is the speaker cabinet for the bass player who demands the best of both worlds—deep, tight bass, with a generous helping of definition and top-end clarity. The SVT-610HLF delivers massive bass, thanks to six 10” speakers that work together to move a tremendous amount of air. You’d need three 18” or four 15” speakers to move as much air as the SVT-610HLF! And they simply wouldn’t be able to respond to transient peaks as quickly as our tens."

"The SVT-610HLF also delivers superb top end, thanks to its 1” horn driver, strategically crossed over at 5kHz. The Ampeg SVT-610HLF is the ideal speaker enclosure for the modern multi-string bass player seeking superior power handling capability and true high-fidelity performance."

"Tilt Back Handle Bar
    1/4” and Neutrik Speakon® Jacks
    Variable HF “L-Pad”
    Baltic Birch Plywood
    3” Dolly-Style Casters
    Skid rails"

I don't have a 610 but I use an Ampeg 410HLF almost every week and it's a really nice cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

I actually saw a cat using one of these yesterday at a fest. I'd heard that the bass response on the 610 was pretty insane and I was unlucky enough to have it proven to me in the flesh. Dude thought his bass register was the coolest thing ever and he just melted his band in a cloud of dark farts by juking up the low end on his SVT. Luckily the band were wretched so I didn't feel too bad for them.

I'd guarantee that this cab is super versatile. I've always heard good things about it, but I can now guarantee that it certainly possesses the ability to put out about twice as much low end as you would ever need.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

show tunes and metal, huh?

+1 to the "versatility" coming from the player, not the cab.

to me a "versatile" cab would be a matched pair of smaller cabs, so i could use one for the "show tunes" gigs and both for the "metal" gigs. (that's why i use two compact LDS single 15 cabs.)
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It does put out more low end than I care for, but the band would have been wretched no matter what, it sounds like, and the guy would have made a muddy mix with whatever cab he used.

That's what I mean when I say "versatility comes from the player." A good player would have gotten a good sound with it and figured out a way to minimize the mud.
  9. CaptGinyu

CaptGinyu

Thanks for the input guys!!!!
  10. IPYF

IPYF

Well he did the two things at a live show that are guaranteed to get you a rubbish sound. He turned his bass up to the point where it was warming his ankles and then he decided that it sounded so great that he needed more in the master volume. Recipe for absolute disaster

Because it was a smaller outdoor festival stage I dare say the poor sound guy couldn't actually pull him any further out of the mix and had to let the crowd have his appalling stage tone and volume.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Typical rookie mistake. He'll get his band fired from a few gigs and he'll learn. Or he won't and he'll go get a job and play occasional keg parties.