Ampeg SVT 7 Pro arriving tomorrow !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey gang

I've used an Ampeg SVT-4Pro for the last 12 years (1200 gigs or so) and still love it. I bought an SVT-8Pro and loved the weight, but it hummed pretty bad and I couldn't really dial in the sound I wanted. I recently bought a LM800 Tube, and believe a class D micro amp can have enough power for me. The LM once again doesn't exactly get the tone I want.

The Ampeg SVT-7Pro will get delivered tomorrow and I'll use it for my gig that night. I'll give my reviews ASAP !!!

Cheers.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Congrats! Looking for sound clips of various models of SVT amps...

3. Antares

Antares

Very much look forward to your review. I have the exact same gear setup as you. I have a LMT 800 that ive been using to gig with and an Ampeg SVT 4-pro that i plan to start using for gigs once i replace its tubes.

I so far prefer the tone out of the Tube 800, but i cant really make a decision until ive heard the SVT-4 with fully functioning tubes.

I find the Tube 800 has a fuller thicker sound, where as the SVT sounds a little cleaner and i hate to say it but thin. Does this sound right to you, or is it my tubes, which i know for a fact at least one has turned micro-phonic.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

What the heck? There's an SVT 7 pro? Since when? Its not even on the Ampeg site

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Imagine how cool it will be if this amp:
    * Actualy sounds like a good Ampeg (SVPCL pre-amp tone)
    * Is reliable

1 killowat of digital power for $800 with that tone set up and compression sounds like a very fair deal.
    Can't wait for the review!

PS - Am skeptical with just 1 preamp tube but fingers crossed.

7. sickest beast

sickest beast

8. 3toes

3toes

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    there's an 8.

9. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    interesting.

10. Sahm

Sahm

I stopped after the one with Dolph Lundgren.

11. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

JOKE. OF. THE. DAY.

12. stiles72

stiles72

:D

Mr. T. here....

13. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Yeah, it only has one 12ax7 preamp tube in it. I too am a little skeptical, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

14. rodl2005

rodl2005

I'm a bass playa so I stopped at 4!

Seiously- looks like it has a switchable mains input. Please let me know after U get it if it's switchable to
    240V - then it'd be able to be grabbed for us in "expensive ampLAND"! Congrats too- hope it sounds & performs as well as it looks!

15. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    The UPS driver handed me it at 10:30am. Great tone as soon as I plugged it in. Keep in mind I used a '74 Ampeg SVT for about 10 years and more recently an Ampeg SVT-4Pro for the last 12 years (guess I like the Ampeg sound). I've owned/tried about every amp out there hoping to find something lighter than the 42 pounds of the SVT-4Pro and still sound as good, with no success. I have a LM800 Tube also.

This dude is LOUD. I've always been a fan of the Ampeg preamp section (original SVT, SVT-IIpreamp, SVT-3Pro, SVT-4Pro) because I found it easy to get THE sound I was looking for. Same with the SVT-7Pro. Couple of knob twists, and bingo, there's what I want. The class D power section is buttery smooth. Reminds me somewhat of a tube power section.

So far I really, really like it. I have gigs tonight and tomorrow and plan on A/B ing it with my 4 Pro.

16. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    The UPS driver handed me my package at 10:30am. Great tone as soon as I plugged it in. Keep in mind I used a '77 Ampeg SVT for about 10 years and more recently an Ampeg SVT-4Pro for the last 12 years (guess I like the Ampeg sound). I've owned/tried about every amp out there hoping to find something lighter than the 42 pounds of the SVT-4Pro and still sound as good, with no success. I did get one of the few Ampeg SVT-8Pro's back in May of 2007 and really loved the class D power section it had, but the preamp wouldn't exactly get what I was looking for, and the amp had a wierd HF humm that was annoying. I have a LM800 Tube also. Haven't been able to get a sound I really like with the LM at my gigs.

The SVT-7Pro is LOUD. I've always been a fan of the Ampeg preamp section (original SVT, SVT-IIpreamp, SVT-3Pro, SVT-4Pro) because I found it easy to get THE sound I was looking for. Same with the SVT-7Pro. Couple of knob twists, and bingo, there's what I want. The class D power section is buttery smooth. Reminds me somewhat of a tube power section.

So far I really, really like it. I have gigs tonight and tomorrow and plan on A/B ing it with my 4 Pro. These a big shoes to fill, so I'll report back after using the SVT-7Pro "live". Everything sounds good to me in a room by myself. Time and experience have taught me that the only way to really audition any equipment is by using it at a gig !!!!!

17. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

What year is this thing? I wasn't aware that Ampeg made an SVT-7 Pro. I know about the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. Interesting.

18. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    How wide is that? I wanted something that wouldn't stick out on the side if I put it on top of a vertical 2x10. That looks like it might fit.

Very encouraged by your comments on the tone.

19. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Very cool. I'm glad to hear that you're liking it so far and will be looking forward to your post gig review of it.

20. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

I'm guessing it's in the 15" range (19" rack, compare it to the markbass below it). Its as long as the Little Mark and one of the rack ears (10 inches for the head and 9/2, so 4.5 inches for the rack ear), so maybe in that range?

21. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures: