Ampeg SVT 7 Pro - Cutting out ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sharky1450, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Sharky1450

Sharky1450

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new SVT 7 Pro, and I used it at a gig last night, which apart from practising in my bedroom, was the first time I'd pushed it past 9 o'clock on the master volume.

I used it on the weekend at a big gig (about 800 people), and it kept cutting out at random times throughout songs. It was driving me nuts - it was the first time it had really been pushed. I had it going through an Ashdown MAG 410 Deep. The settings from the start of the night, the ones I set when we sound checked, were: Comp - 1 o'clock/ Gain - 1 o'clock/ Bass - 11 o'clock/ Midrange - 1 o'clock w/ selector on 1/ Treble - 1 o'clock/ Master - 2 o'clock. I also had a Tech 21 Paradriver going through the FX loop, with the FX mix set at noon. The Paradriver was being used to provide a bit more grind when it was needed, and didn't boost the volume at all, due to the FX mix settings.

When all the problems began happening, I turned the compressor up and the gain down - as I remembered reading it had something to do with them, but couldn't exactly remember what. The settings at the end of the gig were pretty much the same except the Comp was set to 3 o'clock.

I've asked JimmyM about it through a P.M. and he said that it may have something to do with the protection circuit ?. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

The bass guitar I was using was an Epiphone Thunderbird IV, w/ both volume knobs set at 10, and the tone at 4.

If anybody else has had this kind of issue with their SVT 7 Pro I would really appreciate some feedback on the situation. The revision number is C00, and I bought it new on Ebay from an authorised Ampeg dealer in the USA and had it shipped here (New Zealand), so I don't think it has its warranty anymore due to international shipping...

Thanks for your time.

Liam
  2. rummy

rummy

Uh oh. I've seen a few threads regarding this very issue. Supposedly, revision C00 has all the issues fixed, but apparently not. This makes me very nervous about my SVT 7 Rev C00. :(
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What is the line voltage set to on the back panel?
  4. Sharky1450

Sharky1450

Tom, if you mean what is the switching power supply set to - it's set to 230 volts. (Not sure if it's 230 exactly, but I can't remember off the top of my head).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, that's what I was asking. Something sounds not right for it to be cutting out at those Gain/Master settings.
  7. Quickie

Quickie

Revision C00? Issues fixed? It's a 1000.00 amp and it has issues? When will Ampeg get their act together and stop shipping bad product? R&D Ampeg. Remember that?
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    About 3 years ago. Who says it's bad product? All amps can break. What counts is the CS response, and I've seen them bend over backwards to make people happy.
  9. Jheake

Jheake

unfortunately this is the exact reason i no longer own an svt7pro. they sound killer tho. mine did the same thing. i didnt even bother to call ampeg tho i just figured it was something i was doing wrong(pushing settings the wrong way etc) but i couldnt get it to stop. so i just bought swr instead. i have had my swr stuff for a couple years now, and do miss the ampeg tone at times. but i never have had one issue with my swr stuff. and i push my rig pretty hard.
  10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

was it running hot?
    4 ohm cabinet?
    is the svt7 2 ohm stable?
  11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I'm watching this thread as the 7pro is one of the amps I'd like to get. Or the Genz streamliner.
  12. rodl2005

rodl2005

Today different bags these 2 amps.
    The STL has a HUGE low end & shy mids & a big juicy OD, where 7 pro has THE Ampeg sound & is nice & even eq wise, but with the ability to dial in lows, etc...

Sheesh Sharky you've had a bad run with this eh? I feel for u.
    I hope this gets worked out for you.
    Mine is a ' rev c ' one also, but no probs at all so far.
    I'd get in touch with Ampeg CS asap, explain the situation......can you even GET the 7 pro in NZ yet? Shouldn't matter, at worst you'd should ONLY have to pay postage.
    Goodluck
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I'm leaning toward the 7 Pro. I figure I'll pair it with my Bag End 15's or my Genz 212 NeoX until I can find an NV610 at a decent price. Those PF 15's and 210's do look sweet though.
  14. rodl2005

rodl2005

The Cabs DO look sweet. I think a NV 610 would be in a completely different league tho.
    The 7 pro into a NV610 would be superb!
  15. jelwood

jelwood Supporting Member

Use the same settings and same cab, but this time keep the volume down. If the amp doesn't do it's dance again, I would conclude it's a heat issue and the protect circuits are just doing their job. Sounds like the only difference between you practicing with it and playing it at the gig was how much you were asking of it, thus heat is the dependent variable. That and you could have been hooked up to a bad outlet?
  16. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Sucks man :( Definitely contact Ampeg and see if they'll get you fixed up.

IME form owning them both at the same time (still have them), they have more in common than it appears at first blush. I've found that cutting with the Streamliner EQ can be just as effective as boosting, and this makes the SL's versatility a bit under the radar. The one thing the SL doesn't do that the 7-Pro does is the super shiny, super huge slap sound. Other than that, they cover a lot of the same ground to my ear.

Love both of them with my NEOX :)
  17. cavedweller

cavedweller

friend of mine had one that would cut out everytime it was plugged into cab,i have heard of others having troubles with this head.it seems to have issues.
  18. rodl2005

rodl2005

Well, goes to show how we all hear differently eh?
    I was playing with the STL EQ, cutting the bass fully/boosting mids FULLY, I just couldn't get a useable sound.
    Even @ these extreme settings,I still found it lacked clarity, & ppl I work with said it was muddying up the mix.
    I really wanted it to work for me-heck, I bought it! , but, just not my bag sadly. I agree it's a nicely designed & made amp tho
  19. Musicman20

Musicman20

I just dont understand all these issues Ampeg keep having. Yes, there are always going to be lemons, but it does put me off even considering the new Ampeg's as I have no idea what serial runs have problems, etc.

I hope you get it sorted.
  20. rodl2005

rodl2005

I hope u get it sorted too.
    Meanwhile, my 7 pro is going great guns. :)
  21. daimler

daimler

Hi Sharkey,

i've got exactly the same issue as you, and the distributor here in Aus will not (understandably) do the warranty repair as i bought online from Canada.
    Yet Ampeg CS are saying the disty should do the repair and that they have international warranty agreements.

What did you end up doing?

I have noticed that it seems some posts have been deleted from threads concerning this issue, lots of talking about Ampeg CS and people responding to people having these issues but the posts with people detailing the issue seems to be gone.
    Can anyone comment on this?