Ampeg SVT-7PRO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnsonabq, Jan 29, 2014.

1. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

This amp had a lot of problems when it first came out. Have they been fixed? Is it good amp now?

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    You could check here.

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    No issues with mine so far.

4. Trod1946

Trod1946 Supporting Member

Mine is doing well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kenbert

kenbert

2 years heavy giging, no problems!

7. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Media:
    No issues with mine, sounds great.

8. johnsonabq

Great Thanks. Surprised I didn't find that myself. :oops:

9. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Because I have 2 cents, I'll throw it in…

Nobody here can tell you that Ampeg has eliminated failures.

As far as I'm aware, they have never announced that there was any specific issue to be addressed. If there were a specific production issue that they admitted to having and then fixing at some particular point in time, that would create (at least the perception if not the reality of) responsibility, above and beyond warranty coverage, to buyers who suffered from that issue prior to it being fixed.

Since nobody can tell you that Ampeg (or any other company) has completely eliminated failures of its products, the way I see it, we're in the same boat we always have been. That is, in buying an SVT7PRO, you have the "great likelihood" of getting a unit that will be reliable for you, and there is a "slim chance" that you'll get one that won't.

Because a handful of people say, "I've had no issues with mine," doesn't affect that, nor does a handful of people posting that they all had the same problem. Because of the dynamics of forum activity and the lack of any actual figures on failures directly from the companies, there's usually little valuable information for buying decisions that can come from forum reports of failures.

I think they mostly work to fill in missing facts (i.e, actual sales numbers and failure rates) with hearsay to color our perceptions of "how reliable" a particular brand or model is. That perception ends up not having much to do with broader reality, but ends up becoming tb forum-approved fact. Of course, someone who doesn't have a problem with their amp is going to have the impression that the model or brand is "reliable." If a number of people post about having failures at a particular point in time, that creates the appearance of an issue or general unreliability. A lull in posting activity (even though nothing has changed as far as how many units are failing out in the world) can create the impression and even a tb myth that some problem has been addressed and fixed.

10. johnsonabq

So I guess you're saying that the chance of my getting a bad SVT-7PRO is like the chance I took of getting broken knobs or buttons on the RH750 I bought? ;)

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Pretty much. Buy new to cover you for unforeseen component failures, production/design troubles or buy used and take your chances. If a design has not seen a lot of people reporting failures for years, the odds are better when you gamble with a used unit.

12. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

Funny, I have yet to walk into a GC and found one of these amps working. Not to rain on any ones parade, but I just think this model is junk and made out of this country and personally don't dig the sound at all. I'm a MESA M9 fan, built like tanks and built by hand in the US and have a full 5 year warranty... Just my opinion, I'm not looking for a war of words here...

13. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I know that's tongue in cheek, but seriously though, there are parallels in that example. The basis of forum reports in forming the perception of your "chances" is pretty much the same thing.

We have no idea what the actual frequency of RHs having loose/cracking knobs is, but many have decided on some gut level feeling what that knob failure rate is. Some have said it was a "bad batch of knobs"...might be, but I don't think there's any true support for that. Some, by their own experience think the rate is low. Some seem to think it's pretty much all of them.

Personally, I've had two RHs and never had a problem with the knobs. Even so, by the number of posts I've seen reporting loose knobs, I have a gut perception that I'd guess probably over-blows the reality.

Some seem to generalize from their personal experiences, positive or negative, to the point that they deny other peoples' experiences..."You had a problem with that? Must be user error." :rollno:

I had an SVT7PRO for about 6 months. Bought new, C00 rev. I liked it a lot. I had no issues with it whatsoever. I sold it as a pristine unit that had been problem-free for me. It died on the guy I sold it to after few months.

14. johnsonabq

No problem. Anyone can chime in. Was hoping for some "inside" info but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

15. johnsonabq

Kinda half tongue in cheek. ;)

I have an RH450 and 750. Zero issues. I'm just interested in an amp like this because the other night I had to play with only one of my cabs (real small place) and I wasn't happy with the performance of the 750 at 8ohms. The APM just squashed the hell out of my tone.

So I'm looking at a few alternatives amp-wise. Friday I'm testing out a Mesa Boogie Bass Prodigy. I was looking at the 7pro because of Ampeg's reputation for bass amps and it's half the price of the Prodigy.

BTW... I run through one or two Aguilar DB212's.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Mine is solid as a rock.

17. B-string

Well there are a lot of other brands to consider as well. You need to explore as many as you can.

18. johnsonabq

Heh heh... Oh I have been. :D

I have some qualifications though and some previous experiences to consider.

If I could try out a GK Fusion800 I'd give it a shot. But I did have a bad experience with one of thier combos, I didn't like the tone at all.

Any of the big heavy weights are out. e.g. SVT-CL, Fender Bassman 300, etc.

I've been spending a lot of time on the 'net researching. I'm just lucky my local music store has a MB Prodigy and will let me borrow it for rehearsal Friday. They are an Ampeg dealer too.

19. johnsonabq

Here's a related question...

Has all this been a model specific problem (7PRO) or a general Ampeg problem?

20. B-string

7-Pro and PF-500 mostly, some VERY early PF-350's. PF-800 seem a pretty safe bet.

21. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I have had mine for over a year and I have always defended it. But, tonight (during band practice) it would not even turn on. I checked the fuse and even put another one in there - nothing. I also checked the power cord (an obvious yet essential check). I always use a surge protector when i play and when It is not on, I unplug the power strip (it is an industrial strength surge protector). Now I am using my Carvin BX1500 again. I have had that one since it came out and it has never failed me.