1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT-810E help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Panek, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Panek

Panek

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an Ampeg cab and I've found a good deal on a 810E that I'm interested in.

The fridge looks like it's been through hell tolex-wise, with lots of tearing, rips, dings, scratches, some of them somewhat repaired. Two band names are stenciled on the back, one of them being a British indie rock act that had great success in the early 2000's. I like the appearance personally. The speakers are all original, the cab works 100% OK and I'm confident about it, because I would be buying from a legitimate business catering to musicians with 1 year of warranty on the cab.

Included is a custom-made road case, which I wouldn't have any use for, but I can keep it just in case.

The set (cab + case) costs just a little more than a used US made 410HLF, also with a road case, albeit in better cosmetic shape. Looks like I won't be able to get any Heritage models due to distributor problems.

The serial number on the rear is:
    810 I81EG80054

I would like to know more about this cab from you guys, whether it's from one of Ampeg's good years, or a bad year, maybe someone here used an 810 from the same era with the same speakers. If I buy it, it will be paired with an Acoustic 370.

Thanks in advance!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's a 94, and while the cab itself is likely made of OSB, it's definitely the good sounding speakers, as the bad years as I see them weren't till 2000-06. If the tolex bothers you, though, I might suggest redoing it in Duratex, as you can make it look like tolex somewhat, and it's pretty resistant to dinging and easily repaired if you do ding it. Plus it has the bonus of making the OSB more resistant to punctures and water damage.

3. Forrrest

Forrrest

You won't ever want to carry that cab in a road case (unless someone else is doing it). I've been there, and case just stayed behind all the time.
    If it's already a beater anyways, so would that really matter?

Maybe if you had a heritage cab that you wanted to keep mint.. but still...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have a Heritage 810e and I still don't want to carry it in a road case!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Panek

Panek

Guys, the tolex and appearance don't bother me - in fact, I really like the beat up look! I just mentioned that to give you a full description of the cab.

I looked OSB up - so is it bad in terms of Ampeg fridges, or good?

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

OSB that meets moisture=BAD, tends to fall apart so solid cab covering is important.

8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I just bought a 810E brand-new. I know I'm going to get yelled that around here for not buying the heritage, but I have a freshman and sophomore in high school. And of course, I'm still trying to swing buying a SVTCL. Things go full circle, I've always had AMPEG SVT's, quick gigging for some years and am now going again pretty heavy. I should have bit the bullet and bought an entire classic set up when I started gigging again but I had to go screwing around with all the other stuff.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The lure of lighter gear is quite great, bro. I've certainly had my share of it and still do. But nothing is quite like a nice SVT. Won't yell at you for not getting the Heritage because the regular 810e is still a great piece of kit.

10. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

I have had a couple of early 90s 810. Love them ! They smound great. Moving them sucks. I've been slightly considering moving to something smaller. A 610? GK cabs? Who knows. The 810 has been great for me. Total workhorse.

11. elwuss

elwuss

Panek, how much are you paying for the 810E?
    I'm from Croatia, so I'm curious what's the price for it in Poland;)

12. Mike in Chicago

How'd you know I was talking about you Jim? A really lightly used SVTCL would be fine, but I want new...

13. lebaron

lebaron

Just a comment on the moisture thing, B-string is probably right, but I would guess it would take a long time for it to have any effect unless you leave it outside in rain etc. I bought a 410HLF from the mid 90s to use for live where I couldent bring the 810E. the 410HLF was previously damaged by a flood and had been sitting a day or two in 10cm of flood water. The tolex came loose and the padding inside needed to be replaced, but the structual integrety was more or less unaffected. These cabs can take quite a beating :)

14. Mike in Chicago

I've told the story here before but, I had two old 410hes that were particleboard and we had a flood in the basement. Dried them out, they worked fine and later on mushrooms started growing out from underneath the tolex and out of the particleboard

And no, I did not eat the mushrooms

15. Panek

Panek

Guys, I'm definitely considering pulling the trigger on this more and more, but I'm worried about the moisture thing.

There's definitely lots of humidity in our permanent rehearsal space where the fridge would live all the time, to the point that we use 2 small dehumidifiers. We keep pretty much all our gear there except for the guitars, and we share it with another band, where our guitarist is the bass player. I keep my Acoustic 370 there most of the time, and my 2x15 cab that I don't use anymore. Our guitarist keeps his Soundman bass preamp + a Marshall power amp, an old Peavey 1x15 bass cabinet, his 2x12 guitar cab that's not tolexed at all (an old theatre PA cabinet converted to a guitar cab), and another guitarist houses his 4x12 Marshall and Mesa Boogie full tube head there at all times. One drumset for both bands. There are no problems with the gear that I know of, so unless I throw the 810 into water, it should be fine for a long time, right?

3200 PLN. I used xe.com to convert the price and it's around 5850 HRK.

16. Panek

Panek

One more thing - this cab doesn't have any skid rails on the back. Can I buy some and safely attach them by myself? I imagine some of the wear on the back was caused by the cab not having the rails and being transported over stairs, etc.

17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    IMO theres no such thing as a "Bad" Ampeg 810. Some may be better then others but none of them are bad

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't be any trouble adding rails and even a skid plate to the rear. If your rehearsal is that damp consider spacing the cab off the floor with some wood blocks, rubber feet anything that allows some air under the cab. Do that and you should have no troubles.

19. FiveOneSix

FiveOneSix

just look for any kind of hard plastic strips, predrill some holes and get the right screws...rails!

osb is mostly glue, it is used to sheath houses. when i used to build houses, the sheathing (osb) would be in a few days of rain for the week we were sheathing. but def keep the cab off the ground! get a 2x4 (or such) of treated deck wood (moisture resistant)...might be overkill but wont cost that much more for piece of mind!

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The main problem with moisture and OSB is like if it gets hit by rain or a room floods or things of that nature, and not so much moisture in the air. And despite this, I still see a lot of OSB cabs out in the field going strong, so while it's definitely not my favorite type of wood to use for cabs, I can't argue that a lot of them are still around and in good shape.

21. elwuss

elwuss

pretty pricey IMO.
    I bought new svt810e in croatia for 1000E and recently there was a used one selling for 500E