Ampeg SVT CL knob removal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by schwari1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. schwari1

schwari1

Unfortunately, I stepped on my cord and messed up the 1/4" jack inside my SVT CL and I have to remove the preamp board to remove and replace the jack. However, the control knobs have to be removed first and all come off fairly easy except the frequency knob. I have tried to pull it off but it will not budge and I am afraid of actually damaging the switch if I use much more force. I can't imagine the assemblers using super glue but I'm not ruling that out. Any ideas??

2. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I don't know about the Ampeg knobs but I have had issues with other amps trying to get the knobs off.

First I would double check to see that there is no set screw. I just looked at a picture on line and see that the Ampeg knobs look similar to SWR knobs that don't have a set screw.

I have had good success with a "tack puller". Link below from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...eyword=tack puller&storeId=10051#.USqKmjejuI8

This tools can be used to gently lever off a stuck knob. I wrap the tool in electrical tape to avoid scratching the amp face plate.

Good luck!

3. schwari1

schwari1

Thanks. Unfortunately, no set screws. I've got a similar tool used for automotive door panel fastener removal and I might try that.

4. schwari1

schwari1

Success!! Thanks Axtman.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

I don't like talk of knob removal

7. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Glad to be of service!

Not to long ago I had an amp that had a hard plastic knob with rusted set screw. I tried everything to remove the screw, heat, cold spray, liquid wrench, elbow grease, etc. I eventually stripped the slotted head.

So I ended up putting a large C-clamp on the knob, squashed the knob and broke it to bits. I'm glad the pot shaft was metal or I could have broken that as well. Luckily I had an exact match of the knob in my parts drawer.