1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT-CL sound Problem ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Billy Cave, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Billy Cave

Billy Cave

Bad day with my Ampeg SVT-CL 2001. During rehearsal, after some playing for around 10 minutes or so, the amp begins to crackle (all speakers). Tried some other cables but no improvement. The actual sound here:

After setting the amp in stand-by mode and turning it on again, it begins to crackle for a while without playing something. Than it stops, but still crackles while playing.
    After setting the amp off completely, and turning on, first the sound is good. Then after a while crackles begin again :(. Not happy.

The tubes are fairly new, around a month old. And the head always stays on its place. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? I have no clue. Could it be a tube problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yes it could very well be a tube problem, probably a pre amp tube.
    New production tubes suck.:-:)bassist:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

stick a patch cable in yr preamp out/amp in jacks

Skinhorse likes this.
  4. wighat

wighat

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjconn

tjconn

I would stay on top of it. Most times Tube vendors give you a 90 day warranty. Tubes are made so shotty that sometimes they show up damaged. I've had techs test tubes and they show fine only to find out that as soon as they are burned in they are not. Almost all problems I have had with these amps in the 6 years I've been playing them trace back to the power tubes.

7. Skinhorse

Skinhorse

Had a similar problem with my 2003 SVT. Turned out to be dust that had collected in the 'preamp-in' jack. Running a cable in and out of the jack a few times can free up any dust that is shorting the connection. Worth a shot before involving a tech :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014