1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT-CL + SVT-15E + PF-210HE...anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dje31, Dec 4, 2012.

1. dje31

dje31

Greetings, all. I already have a solid state, modern-ish GK combo. Looking for a tube-based, versatile, yet classic-oriented alternative setup. Like the idea of a single 15" with a 2x10.

Anyone tried this combo? Any phasing issues? Problems mixing and matching between lines?

Any alternatives? Or just go with one of their many 4x10 options?

Thoughts, opinions and experiences welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. dje31

dje31

Or to keep it all in the Classic family, swap the PF-210HE for an SVT-210AV? Would you miss anything not having an HF tweeter? I don't have one on my GK combo, so I'm guessing not.

The other concern on the SVT210 is its power handling vs. the 300-watt head. Maybe the 15 would take some of the heat?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Swap out the 210he for a 210av? The 210he is heavier duty. I love the sound of the 210av's and use them all the time but they're medium duty cabs.

I've heard of good results mixing the PF210 and 115he cabs but I've never done it. I have the PF115he's and they sound great by themselves and get plenty loud IMHO. Matching cabs is always a sure thing, but mixing cabs is 50/50 odds as to whether they'll work together or not, and the only way to know is to try it. If it were me, I'd pick one cab and get two.

4. dje31

dje31

Thanks for the input, Jimmy...much obliged.

Doing a bit more research, it seems not long ago there was an SVT-210HE, but it's been discontinued. That would keep things in the Classic family, so the mixing & matching issue is resolved. Did they kill it off because of performance or (lack of) sales issues?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

No, it isnt. Mixing a 115 and a 210 even from the same manufacturer and product line is a crap shoot. The only cab I would recommend you pair with a 115e is an identical 115e.

7. dje31

dje31

Thanks...I guess I should have qualified it with "might be resolved."

So much for conventional wisdom I guess.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, sometimes they make different cabs to sort of work together, and sometimes they don't. Not sure about the 210he's. And yes, usually when something gets disco'ed, it's lack of sales.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Don't listen to someone who has never tried it. The SVT 115E and SVT 210HE sound really good together.

10. dje31

dje31

I'm guessing the SVT-15E & SVT-210HE would work together if only because they are featured on the same PDF doc that's still on the Ampeg webpage. There's an implied relationship between them based on the presentation of marketing propaganda:

www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT210HE_SVT15E.pdf

That's just my sales & marketing background talking...I may, in fact, be full of beans. Can't know for sure without trying them together, I suppose...made tougher by the fact that the 210 is out of production.

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Gigged that exact rig for a while, sounded fantastic! I switched to GK for more attack and less weight but you will be very happy with that stack.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's very possible there was some thought into them sounding good together. Some companies do put some thought into it, and if the phase relationships are similar or complementary, a mixed rig can sound good. It's just that matching cabs are a sure thing, that's all.