Ampeg SVT-CL with 8ohm cab????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slapstick13, Feb 21, 2013.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

I know the Ampeg SVT CL head has 2/4 ohm switching. Can the head work with the 410he cab(8ohm?) Maybe a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it on here.
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I know people who do run it that way, who haven't had problems with an 8 ohm cab and the amp set to 4 ohms. Personally, I wouldn't.
  3. Klonk

Klonk Norwegian Wood Supporting Member

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

If you run an SVT into 8 ohms at gig levels you will cook the output transformer, you might get away with it a few times but eventually you'll smoke the output transformer
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Nothing is certain regarding whether you will get damage or you wont. I ran SVT's at gig volume with an 8 ohm cab for years with no damage. Was it prudent? Not at all. Likely there was some heating. I stopped doing it and wouldnt do it anymore. Not a good idea. But certain damage? No.
  6. RSNG

RSNG

I used mine for a short time with an 8 ohm 1x15 cab. It started blowing fuses. I took it to the local tube amp expert. He replaced the tubes and told me to never, ever, run it at anything other than 2 or 4 ohms. I haven't, and it's been fine.
  7. dmac1961

dmac1961

As has been stated, it will work, but who knows for how long? Pick up a couple of SVT 210 AV's for a proper 4 ohm load, easy schlep and that tone.
  8. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

Aren't the 210 AV cabs 8 ohms tho?
  9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Two of them in parallel will give you a 4 ohm load.
  10. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Yeah but 2 of them together would make 4 ohms.
  11. Kael

Kael

Rewire it to 2 ohms. Problem alleviated.

Assuming that that is feasbile. Not sure what each speakers impedance is in that cab. Still a 4 speaker 8 ohm cab will probably be capable of being rewired like that.
  12. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

the 810 have 32ohm speakers. if the 410 has the same speakers you won't be able to wire it to 2ohms.
  13. Kael

Kael

Duly noted
  14. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

I'm pretty certain they are NOT the same 32ohm speakers used in the 810s.
  15. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

I did it once, I blew a powertube with next to no time on it... was it connected? I don't know... but them 6550s aren't cheap so I didn't ever do it again.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, they are. The 410he and the 810e both use the same speaker.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Exactly what kind of 8 ohm cab are we talking about slapstick? Jimmy is dead on about Ampeg e cabs, but if you are running something different, it could be currently wired in series/parallel with 8 ohm drivers. If that's the case, then you COULD rewire it (or have someone rewire it) using the exact same drivers to get you to 2 ohms by simply wiring them all in parallel. It would actually be pretty simple to do and shouldn't cost much.
  18. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I've run the CL at 8 ohms into the 410he cab for recording and messing around, never gigged with it and never had any issues, but I also wouldn't recommend doing it unless you absolutely have to
  19. MC1970

MC1970

While I have no reason to disagree, I'd like to know what the difference in wattage is due to since the 810e is rated at 800W (which would lead to think that each speaker is rated 100W) and the 410HE (which should be a sort of "half fridge") is rated 500W...... Is it due to the tweeter? A 100W tweeter could kill!!!!!

Thanks ;-)
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good question. Can't answer it. Maybe the tweeter does add 100w of power handling. I doubt it but stranger things have happened. I just know that they use the same speaker and always have. They're rated for the voice coils to blow at 150w, so if Ampeg went by that, the 810e would be rated at 1200w and the 410he at 600. So maybe the 10"s they use do slightly better in the 410he, or maybe the tweet enters into it. Not an engineer but those would be my two guesses. The volume difference between 400 and 500w is extremely slight, though, and pretty much imperceptible to the human ear.