1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT Classic

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 12, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Got to get a new amp. My SWR Bass 750 is DOA. No longer fixable. It looks as though I won't be able to keep my current speaker set up because of it. For the last 12 years I have been running my SWR Bass 750 and 3x 8Ohm cabinets to run it at 850w. I really love the tone from the song 'Never been any Reason' which I think it is a SVT through 8x10's.
    So I am in a super bind at this point. I have no budget. I need something that will work and not stop working. I know there is nothing that I have tried that runs 2Ohms and gives me my SWR sound or power. So, 180 degree's is what I am thinking.
    I intend on keeping my SWR Bass monitor, so I am looking at an 8Ohm main speaker. Either a 6x10 or 8x8, but I think a 8x10 is way to heavy.
    I need suggestions since again, I have not really looked at another amp or speaker in 12 years

2. iriegnome

Oh, more info.. I play a Modulus Bassstar 5 string. Grateful Dead Jam rock and roll with influenced of Phil Lesh and Mike Gordon. My band has 3 guitar players and two drummers. Guitarists use Fender Twin 100w combo's, and my drummers are pretty hard hitting.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Since you like the SVT sound you could try one with your three eight ohm speakers. There would be an impedance mismatch but you would try it on both the 4 and 2 ohm impedance settings.

If the pre-amp out in the Bass 750 is still working, you could feed the pre-amp out into a PA power amp (Crown or QSC for example) connected to your current speakers. A different preamp can be used down the road.

PS: Changing the title of the thread to something like "Need replacement for an SWR Bass 750" might draw in some good alternatives to the Ampeg CL.

4. iriegnome

I am trying to be compact and light weight. I know neither apply to the SVT Classic, but I am looking at everything..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C

The closest I have found to an SVT-CL (300 watts) is Ampeg 7-Pro and it puts out 1,000 watts. It will not run down to 2 ohms. The 2nd closest would be a Mesa Walkabout (300 watts) and it will go down to 2 ohms.
    I also have a SWR SM400; as you probably know, these two amps couldn't be farther apart on the tonal spectrum IMO/IME.

7. iriegnome

I was looking into the SVT-7Pro. I have never used a tube amp before and frankly, it scares me a little. I have had my hybrid sound for a long time and I am extremely happy with it. It just is no longer available. I have to find something new. I have always liked recordings with the SVT Classic sound. Do you know how similar the 7Pro and the Classic are?

8. Jim C

Jim C

7-Pro is a hybrid with one preamp tube
    SVT is all tube
    As mentioned before the closest thing to an SVT (IMO/IME) is the 7-Pro

9. iriegnome

In counter thought then, since my SWR Bass 750 is a hybrid as well, they should have some similar qualities.

10. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    The single tube in the SWR doesn't do much of anything on the front end, and really only provides a buffer for the AE circuit. ALL the SWR voicing is in the AE circuit, which is, in essence, a modified Fender Tone Stack driving half of a 12ax7. The rest of the circuitry is pretty transparent opamp based EQ. It is completely different from the Pro7.

EDIT: On further investigation, I see the Pro7 only has one tube, as well. I still maintain that it will be voiced completely differently than the SWR. The term "hybrid" just doesn't mean a lot when the main factors creating the specific voicings are something else entirely.

Also, there's no reason you can't drive all 3 8ohm cabs with the SVT-CL set to 2-ohms. I know that's not small and light, but you get the SVT tone and don't have to change cabs. Win-win!

11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    There's a thread on 2 ohm capable amps going that might give you some more ideas. Eden (WT550, WT800C/D, WT1205), Peavey, and Hartke are some less expensive choices, especially used.

12. iriegnome

I started at that thread. Most would not work. I am thinking I am going to just have to get a new complete system. Amp first then speakers when I can afford them

13. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Dunno why. The Edens and Peaveys I've seen rated for two ohms seem to handle it just fine.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Might just be one tube, but judging from the differences you can get from them by tube rolling, I'd say the 7 Pro's tube is pretty active in the circuit.

So I go back and forth on this nowadays. At first I thought the 7 Pro was as close as it got to the SVT. But then I did a few gigs with an SVT 4 Pro and it also reminded me of an SVT by a large margin. Like the 7 Pro sounds to me more like an SVT-CL with the gain pushed up a bit and on the verge of power tube sag but not quite hitting it. But the vibe I get from the 4 Pro is how an SVT-VR sounds when it's not being pushed...really clean and uncompressed but ballsy. So now I don't know which one I'd take in the tube SVT's stead. I keep threatening to get one of each but then I remember I still have to pay something for them ;)

15. iriegnome

And they are a pretty good price difference between the SVT 7 and 4 and the CL and VR!