Ampeg SVT III non pro Cab help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FenderPeg, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FenderPeg

FenderPeg Supporting Member

Hello, 1st time poster here, really enjoy the boards on here. I am kind of a newbie in the bass playing/shopping world and do not know a whole lot about sound. I have a fender P Bass and just bought my first head, a SVT-3 non pro. What I understand is that this has 3 tubes powering the preamp with SS power, 200 watts @ 8 ohms/350 @ 4 ohms. What would my optimal cab match be for this amp? Right now I am leaning towards the Ampeg SVT 210AV 8 ohms and a nice lugging 26 lbs! Are there better options for me to get that full 350 watts at 4ohms? Or just rock out the 200 watts at 8 and upgrade down the road if this band starts getting gigs.. Thanks in advance :help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  3. FenderPeg

Sorry forgot to mention that we mostly play Blues style and rock but nothing hard or nothing metal. The guitarist plays a 20 watt blues Jr mic'd thru real nice PA, I can do the same but would like my own cab. Thanks

4. FenderPeg

May I ask why I need 2 of them? Is that too much for this Head? Why not go 410 if this the case

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If I remember correctly the AV cabs are "medium duty". Have you considered a heavier duty cab like the PF series?

7. catgut

catgut

I used 4x10's with a very early Pro 3 for 10 years. At 275W 8Ω mind you. Handled everything small and large with PA help. Mine had an additional 2x 12AX7's feeding the MOSFET SS amp. 5 Tube total. 4x10 is sweet spot for that amp. Even the slightly lower watt non-pro. Which I thought had the best tone of all the versions. So get 4x10 at 4Ω. When I matched with anything bigger like an 8x10 it got all small and labored.

8. FenderPeg

No I have not considered much of anything, thats why I am on here to seek advice for the best setup to match the head I have. I am open for suggestions!! I have heard there isnt very much head room with this amp and I am not too worried about how loud I can get yet. Right now I just want to be able to have nice tone and hear my rig over the guitar! Bottom line is I want the best matching cab for this head that will give me the heads full potential.

9. FenderPeg

I do not have a Pro, big difference in power, but thanks

10. FenderPeg

BTW I picked the SVT 3 non pro up for $200. Right up my alley/price range for my 1st amp that will have enough punch for practices and small bars. I see mixed reviews on it but somehow think I will be happy with what I got for that price. What do you guys think of the 3 NON pro and was this a good deal?

11. catgut

catgut

Not really. Watts get lost. 375 vs 450 SS watts = who cares. You got a great deal and yours has sweeter tone than the rest of the SVT3's. imo. It was the one I wanted but they had just discontinued it. I had to get the next one. Good luck. I still say a 4x10 is the way to go with that guy.

12. B-string

Doing blues you are most likely going to want some low end and the sealed 210AV is going to struggle unless you double it. 410's are a good option as well as 212 cabs. Use the available power to move speaker displacement (area X linear movement). Do ypu want to stick with Ampeg cabs? There are several Ampeg cabs that will still put out a big sound at 8 ohms single cab. JimmyM is your best info connection there.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And this is why I suggested two 210av's. They are medium duty cabs, but they combine for a 4 ohm load that will take your 3 Non Pro's full potential or close to it. However, B-string is right. If you are looking for a bottom end similar to the 810e fridge, they're great. If you want big huge low end, look to the Portaflex line of cabs.

However, to be honest, I think that "head's full potential" business is a lot of baloney ;) If you have enough volume to do your gig, it doesn't matter what the head's full potential is, and it sounds like you likely won't get anywhere close to needing everything the 3 Non Pro can do, so I probably wouldn't worry about it.

14. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

I have the svt3 pro,and a ampeg classic series 410 cab,seems like it gets pretty loud,we do some smaller clubs in my classic rock cover band,and the handful of times a year that my other original band plays some pretty decent size venues,outdoor pa support etc etc,I have the thing almost maxed on some of these stages,(heavy handed drummer ,and like minded lead guitarist),I think the cab is 8ohms,no clue what this means by the way,but the tone is really amazing from the head and cab combo,wish I had a bit more volume at times,tilting the cab up helps,yeah seems like you are heading in the right direction

15. FenderPeg

appreciate all the comments, I am still undecided on what route to take. I have been offered a customized 400 watt 215 cab loaded with EV 15B's for $300 and guy is 5 miles from my house who will let me plug this head in and hear what its all about. Its the same price as 1 new 210av. I do not really know the difference of sound/tone I would gain from this option other than I would be running at 350 watts 4 olms and weight diff for toting. Is running 10's better than 15's? what the real difference? Sorry I am sure I could research this question and find an answer, just thought I would ask while on here. I am also wanting to keep my spending down, most bang for my buck but do not want to regret not spending a few dollars more, down the road.. Thanks guys

16. B-string

You NEED to go try that cab! If you can handle the weight shelp and size, it is about equal to a 410 in sound output. The EV15B's are good speakers, not fantastic by today's standards but sound really nice.

17. FenderPeg

Thanks B, I am most deff going to go give it a listen, my fear is that I am a new guy to this and do not personally know what the difference would be compared to the 10s unless I had one next to it to actually hear diff (new guy syndrome). Im sure whatever I hear 1st is going to give me wood and I'll be loading it into my truck soon after + it sounds like the 10s or the 15s route will both put out! Thanks again will update decision in a few days, gona watch the papers and see if any deals on some 10s appear, I really like that 26lb factor and size, plus staying SVT just seems right to me. Cheers

18. B-string

Both EV's without the cab will be almost 26 lbs ;). They do have a sweet low end and good mids (punch and definition). You will only know which cab you prefer by trying them. Don't get hung up on the speaker size when thinking sound. The size of the driver really means little. The EV 15's are desirable classic speakers but may or may not be a sound you like (just like the 210AV). Sometimes you have to balance weight/price/size/sound. The "medium duty" on the AV means you might damage that cab pretty easy if you're pushing just one trying to get deeper lows.

19. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

20. B-string

Mild old guy problem, schlep :)

21. slickbass3

slickbass3

I've been using this exact head with either one (8 ohm) 410 or two 410's. Then decided the weight was killing my back. Both Peavey. Great cabs BTW.

Recently I got a killer deal on two (8 ohm) Eden 210XLT cabs.

Just match up the ohm load and you'll be fine.

Before
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389913430.424248.jpg

After
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389913464.800405.jpg